What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month June 2014

Vote for the top 3 best!

• Bio - Carnegia gigantea (Giant Saguaro)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Whimgrinder - Lepanthopsis astrophora

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • theplantman - Parodia microsperma

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Red Lowii - N. truncata x ephippiata

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Av8tor1 - S. 'Leah Wilkerson'

• Not a Number - Drosera kaieteurensis

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Iwest - S. 'Royal Ruby'

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • RSS - Utricularia graminifolia

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Tanukimo - Utricularia blanchetii

• Kulamauiman - Dodonea viscosa

• jimscott - D. nitidula x pulchella

• Maiden - S. purpurea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) Plant per member may be entered in any particular month. This means one Nep vine, one Sarr Rhizome, one pygmy dew etc.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 06/30/14
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher, unfurling of a leaf etc. are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher/plant/whatnot cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher/plant/whatnot entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo, or sprouted from seed by the owner.
9. I didn't like this rule. You can keep entering the same thing month after month and if people still like it without getting sick of it, so be it.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 07/01/14, closing 07/05/14 and using this forum in this thread! Voting will appear at the top of the thread at the close of the contest entries.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on June 30th 2014 at 5:00PM EST

Good Luck!

It's been a slow month so far, so I guess I'll start it off with my Carnegia gigantea (Giant Saguaro).

attachment.php

Lepanthopsis astrophora, the tiniest Orchid species in the greenhouse.
20140524-144121-52881181.jpg

astrophora-may-5.jpg

Parodia microsperma, the Golden Tom Thumb cactus. Bought on clearance for $1. It was severely eaten up with root rot and I took ethanol and a razor blade and basically did plant surgery on it. 2 years of healing and look what it did to say thanks!

Amazing pictures guys!

We have serious competition this month =]

Great pics, definitely! I'm working on growing saguaros, still have about 3 seedlings holding on, and more seeds I can probably work with....

Great pics everyone! I don't know much at all about Orchids, but those flowers look really cute Paul. And great Cacti! I used to grow a few mammillaria myself.

14165434560_e780a09228_b.jpg

14165426920_a7e3718a2c_b.jpg

Drosera kaieteurensis

IMGP8331_zps59e8c473.jpg

IMGP8336_zps457fd83d.jpg

I hate when you can't get the lighting right to get the dew sparkle :p

S. 'Royal Ruby':

Last edited:
My first ever entry: Utricularia blanchetii (the only utric that regularly flowers for me)

DSC_0664_1.jpg

DSC_0666_1.jpg

DSC_0672_1.jpg

DSC_0679_1.jpg

DSC_0681_1.jpg

DSC_0689_1.jpg

Beautiful plants this month!

D. nitidula x pulchella

Amazing pictures guys!

We have serious competition this month =]

Not to brag, but if a certain plant of mine cracks open one of its buds within a week (which I doubt but I'll at least have it for next month), we might have some even better competition! And this is the first time I've seen a NON-carnivorous plant entered. I mean, carnivores are nice and all, but they get old after you see the SAME SPECIES over and over. :sleep:

Not to brag, but if a certain plant of mine cracks open one of its buds within a week (which I doubt but I'll at least have it for next month), we might have some even better competition! And this is the first time I've seen a NON-carnivorous plant entered. I mean, carnivores are nice and all, but they get old after you see the SAME SPECIES over and over. :sleep:

So post it then.... No reason to come in here and complain about what people post- if you have better, prove it and win the poll! Rule one; Be nice! These people are proud of their plant (for good reason!) and decided to participate in the contest you are not welcome to come in and attempt to berate them on that.

Sorry for the delay! I was given the task of switching this to a poll and completely spaced it till right now. :X I gave it 7days to vote instead of 5 to make up for it. :p
Andrew

Sorry. I take a bit of issue with this. If you take even 5 seconds to scan growlists, most people on this forum have a handful of orchids, stapeliads, ant plants, tropicals, and cacti/succulents. Additionally, if you're looking for pretty pictures of non-CPs there are countless other forums and facebook groups to seek out. You do realize this is a CP-specific forum, right?

Back