What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 'Ghetto' Water Collection System....

The last time I tried to collect water for my CP's I ended up having to use it on the houseplants instead because it had caught so much pollen on the way down the water was actually yellow. >.<

Back in 2006 I had a 55 gallon trash barrel to collect water from the eaves. It was also the most severe spring tree pollen on record, in the Northern Hemisphere. The pollen was unrelenting, messy, and unsightly, but it didn't have a deleterious affect on the plants.

Our complex also has drainage pipes for AC water. It looks clean, but... IDK.....

Our complex also has drainage pipes for AC water. It looks clean, but... IDK.....
Aluminum oxide is completely insoluble, and other that that potential contaminant there wouldn't be much difference between condenser run off and roof runoff.

I posted this here years ago..but it seems fitting to post it again for this thread:

An important modification I made after creating that video:
make you sure put a wire mesh covering at the *top* of the downspout!
wire mesh inside the gutter, securely covering up the hole that leads to the downspout pipe..
why?
Before I put the mesh there, the hole to the downspout was just wide open..
it was hot..summer..a squirrel probably "smelled" the water, and thought to itself:
"hmm..there is water at the other end of this tube! I should check it out!"
down the tube he goes..he found water allright. :(
squirrels cant back up..
I found him a few days later..it wasnt pretty...the flies found him before I did..
hundreds of baby flies were having a good time..
so yeah..cover up the downspout opening securely! ;) up at the top, at the gutter.

Scot

Last edited:
BTW, Scot, 'Leah' is still doing well. It keeps dividing and has gone for several trades.

Anytime ya wanna get together in East Aurora...

I just took the contents of the fishtank - the Aldrovanda, the U. gibba, etc... and put in the 80 qt. cooler. The cooler isn't going to collect or be the repository of enough rain water to say so. It'll come in handy when the snow flies and then melts.

Back