What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Trip - Eastern Massachusetts - August 2014

I visited another bog early this morning. I've been to this location several times but, the S.purpurea here are unusually beautiful. This is also the only place I've seen Drosera x beliziana, the natural hybrid of D.intermedia and D.rotundifolia.

Drosera rotundifolia

Drosera intermedia

Drosera x beleziana and Drosera intermedia

Drosera x beleziana

Calopogon tuberousus - Too late in the season for flowers. Better luck in the spring.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea

Last edited:
Amazing pictures. :-O

Thanks guys. This is a heavily poached population but with a little extra work plenty of beautiful plants can be found.

Love the color on the purps! Also, interesting to see there appears to be some notable variation in the shape of D. x beleziana leaves. The ones you show in the wild are pretty intermediate between the parents, or leaning toward more elongate, but a lot I notice in cultivation tend to lean somewhat toward rotundifolia (including my wacky one, D. beleziana "Dr. Frankensnyder's Monster").

This population of x beliziana seems to equally represent both parents. Others I've seen in cultivation tend to lean one way or the other. This could be due to conditions though, especially if the plants are grown indoors. These are the only ones I've ever seen in the wild, I'm curious to see what plants from other locations look like.

Nice photos! & interesting location, looks like a White Atlantic Cedar bog. Great color on the Purps there!
Good catch on the Beleziana, I think you'll enjoy the Sept issue of the CPN

Thanks Matt ! It is indeed an Atlantic white cedar bog. Unfortunately the area is well known and extremely poached out but there are still some beautiful plants deep in the bog. The color on the x beleziana makes them stand apart from the parent species, making them fairly easy to pick out. I'm going to explore at least one more location in southern NH this weekend. Let me know if you ever want to come up and do a weekend of bogging. I'd be more than happy to show you some of these spots.

Bogs are such wonderful places. I hate to hear about the poaching.

Yeah, it's a bummer. There's hardly anything besides very etiolated specimens growing in deep shade within site of the trail.

I'd definitely like to tour the NE spots, probably next July. In return I can provide a tour of LI's best spots if you like.
Terrible news about the poaching, we've certainly had that problem here as well...

Love the Sphag! thanks for sharing the photos

Sounds good Matt ! We'll talk more about it at the show in October !

Love the Sphag! thanks for sharing the photos

Almost all the sphagnum in this bog is a deep red with odd, large patches of yellow/brown. It's stunning to look at from a distance.

amazing location!

Back