What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Garden Teaser, Time Lapse

HEY folks!

S0 I had a thread a little while ago about my Biolapse project where I am filming timelapse clips of carnivorous plants as they grow and develop. I had received a lot of great tips and advice, and the plants appear to be healthy and they are currently taking a break after a full month of timelapsing. With 23 hour day cycles in LED lighting (yes there are filming reasons for this one) and putting up with cameras shoved in thier faces for just over 4 weeks they are still in pretty good shape, but a few days rest will do them well.

I have some nice footage of the Sundew, flytraps and even some pitchers growing and developing.

Here in a couple days they go back in the set for another month, i am hoping to get the rest of this filming done asap before i have to get them in dormancy. The next clips will be similar to the last sets, but i will be introducing focus pulls, linear movement, and maybe some pan and tilt action in there as well.

Anyway, I put together a small teaser together, and i hope to release the full video by the end of this year which will include the motion control shots, focus pulls, and the other plants. I figured everyone on here would get a kick out of this sundew. :)

oh my gosh!!!!! i just died when i saw this. I love cp time lapse videos but too bad there aren't enough good ones out there. Please keep this up i just bookmarked your vimeo page.

Very awesome! Can't wait to see the full video when you have it ready.

This is one of the most amazing things I think I've ever seen :D Great work, very impressive stuff!

Wow thats really nice. What camera do you use?

Maybe I don't see the link because I'm on my phone.....

Maybe I don't see the link because I'm on my phone.....

I can't see a link either using my phone…

EDIT: On the computer I can see it fine, it's just not comparable with the phone.
Very cool time lapse!!

Last edited:
Very cool, Chronos. I totally enjoyed that! How is that so many capensis leaves are developing at the same time? Coming out of winter?

Beautiful teaser. I can't wait to see the whole thing. Love the music choice as well.

Excellently made! Beautiful!

Ramon:D

that's pure quality,you have real skill i love it,nice choice in music :hail:

Thank you everybody! I am going to start filming again in a few days, and things are going to get abit interesting :)

Wow thats really nice. What camera do you use?
I use a Fuji XE-1 and XM-1 as my primary timelapse cameras.

Very cool, Chronos. I totally enjoyed that! How is that so many capensis leaves are developing at the same time? Coming out of winter?

The beginning of what you see there is it uncurling after a C02 bath. I do that to kill off any bugs. Just stick it in a 10 gallon tank with a small bowl with some dry ice and water and the tank fills with C02, the bugs all drown. Its the only way i found to get rid of those stupid white tails . if they get bad enough they can ruin the timelapse.

While in the CO2 bath the arms all curl up, then over the next few days they start to uncurl.

Just stick it in a 10 gallon tank with a small bowl with some dry ice and water and the tank fills with C02, the bugs all drown. Its the only way i found to get rid of those stupid white tails. [...] While in the CO2 bath the arms all curl up, then over the next few days they start to uncurl.

Interesting. How long do you leave them in there?

how long between shots? i noticed there were no open flowers

can't wait for the next video

how long between shots? i noticed there were no open flowers

20 min intervals. It is flowering again, the first time i saw a flower on day when i was working from home. It seemed t show up our of nowhere then disappear. How long do they flower for?

Back