What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is this horticulture sand okay?

this is found at my local nursery, but i also have lowes, home depot, and osh.

any recommendations? Ingredients is listed as Washed sands and Ingredients is Arena Lavada

thanks!!!!!!!

IMG_2076_zpse3c4edc3.jpg

IMG_2077_zpsdaf8dbcf.jpg

I think silica sand is what is preferred. That label seems rather ambiguous. "Arena lavada" is simply Spanish for "washed sand".

I would GUESS that it is okay, but I would still give it a wash yourself, first, just to be sure.

The grade of the sand will also matter. If it is really fine like playground sand I would look for something else.

See this is exactly why I ask first, hail all mighty member. I'll skip this and keep looking.

You want something that is chemically neutral like silica sand. If it is sandstone or limestone sand it will probably be basic which you don't want. Look up the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the manufacturer's website or ask the store for one for the product - it should say what the material is and maybe the pH.

ived used that sand before with good result for my filiformis , now i use the L&L company's horticulture sand

Instead of asking for opinions, find out for yourself. Just put a spoonful of the sand into a cup of vinegar. If it fizzes don't use it. If there's no reaction, it's safe.

i got sand from petco thats a pretty good consistency, not too small, not too big... It's for aquariums and says it wont change the water chemistry so (im assuming) it could only be silica

ooooooo i'm def gonna try the vinegar method when i do get some sand.
Millipede
do you remember which brand?

The acid test can be misleading as some of the materials used in the grinding process (if any) can react with acids. That's why you should rinse construction sand and such. However since it claims to be "washed" it may not be necessary.

Shucks! The link disappeared. The pool filter sand at Home Depot.

Im always trying to find that stuff when I go to home depot. I never can and the idiots who work there never know what the **** I'm talking about when I ask about silica sand or pool filter sand. I know exactly where it should be on the shelf too but its never there or anywhere

Is there more than one store in your town? Now most of the HD's carry it where I am, but for a time only one or two stores had it. Might want to check another local store. Or maybe ask if they could order you a bag or two. Stores rarely wish to turn away paying customers.

hey
pearldiver
thanks for the suggestion, I'll def look for that and double look for it since it looks like the possibility of me not finding is quite high!

Back