What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many gallons of water do you use a months and how much do you pay?

Too much to count... Luckily I switched to tap water so it's cheaper and I have a lot more of it.

2-3 gallons a day...sometimes more depending on the temps and dryness...

I have maybe a hundred CP's or a little better in a dozen or two various sized containers, many of which freely drain. I spend .39 cents per gallon and use 5 - 10 gallons per week for normal watering. That is much much more when repotting or potting new plants. I purchase R/O from the blue booths at Walmart and other grocery store in the area. Where I am going currently the water tests at 6ppm TDS.

EDIT: My other plants get watered from "softened" tap water which tests around 860ppm TDS. Sorry other plants!

Last edited:
I have maybe a hundred CP's or a little better in a dozen or two various sized containers, many of which freely drain. I spend .39 cents per gallon and use 5 - 10 gallons per week for normal watering. That is much much more when repotting or potting new plants. I purchase R/O from the blue booths at Walmart and other grocery store in the area. Where I am going currently the water tests at 6ppm TDS.

EDIT: My other plants get watered from "softened" tap water which tests around 860ppm TDS. Sorry other plants!
If by softened tapwater you mean water passed through an ion exchange unit which trades Ca+ and Mg+ ions for Na+ ions, you would likely be better off using the water before it enters the system. For plants trading Ca+ and Mg+ ions for Na+ ions is generally not a good trade And are you sure the water actually goes through the system? More often than not outdoor hose bibs on houses originally built with such systems are plumbed to get their water pre-softener.

Wish my apt building had some hose bibs. Pretty sure it doesn't tho now I'll have to check. Never though about them having a bypass, but good call! Thanks Sub!
If by softened tapwater you mean water passed through an ion exchange unit which trades Ca+ and Mg+ ions for Na+ ions, you would likely be better off using the water before it enters the system. For plants trading Ca+ and Mg+ ions for Na+ ions is generally not a good trade And are you sure the water actually goes through the system? More often than not outdoor hose bibs on houses originally built with such systems are plumbed to get their water pre-softener.

What is this snow you speak of, Sir?

I use rainwater. About 12 gallons a month between the outdoor CPs and indoor CPs. Zero cost. Haven't had to buy distilled in a long time thankfully.

After calculating water usage per day from my misting unit, I would say ...probably 4-5$ a month. I buy a gallon worth of distilled water and fill the misting unit up.

I use about a gallon a day.... but I work for a pharmaceutical manufacturer, and can take purified water home, after filling our paperwork and getting signatures.

I use ~20 gallons a month. If it's rained that month that means its free, but if it hasn't, I buy RO water locally for about $0.30 a gallon. So I spend anywhere between nothing and $6.

I use 200 gallons of RO water and another 400 gallons for the mister and swamp cooler of tap water a month. I also grow orchids.

Ramon:D

150 to 200 gallons ,
i collect rain water. into two 55 gallon drums.

During the growing season, I buy 2-4 gallons of distilled water a week at about $1.09/each. That comes out to $17.44 per month. I'll round up to $20 a month. Sometimes I have to buy extra if I'm doing lots of transplanting.

That is for about 8-9 months out of the year. In winter, I'll buy maybe 1 gallon a month.

It will probably be more this year though, as I am keep some tropicals in a mini greenhouse over winter.

Back