What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colchicine Supplier?

Does anyone know of a good source of Colchicine powder. I am planning on experimenting on Drosera hybrids in the hopes of creating fertile hybrids, but all the biological supply stores I usually shop at don't carry it.

That's because its very dangerous to handle, and its difficult to get now because of that. I don't know of any suppliers for it anymore.

Just google "Colchicine supplier". It is very expensive. In 2009 the FDA granted one company the exclusive license to manufacture Colchicine in exchange for some research they published on the substance. The price went from $9/ bottle of 100 tablets to $465/100 tablets.

Whether or not you can legally import it from outside the US I'll leave for you to find out. If you buy from a US supplier you have to pay for dangerous/hazardous goods handling etc.

Colchicine is a mutagen (causes changes in DNA). Extreme caution is advised in the use of this substance.

Back in the 70's I remember perusing a small pamphlet that spoke of using colchicine to make certain plants polyploid. And that that might make them more potent over time. The rub was, to quote one article,

You can employ a growth changer called colchicine. This is a bit hard to
get and expensive. (Should be ordered through a lab of some sort and
costs about $35 a gram.)

To use the colchicine, you should prepare your presoaking solution of
distilled water with about 0.10 per cent colchicine. This will cause
many of the seeds to die and not germinate, but the ones that do come
up will be polyploid plants. **

The problem here is that colchicine is a posion in larger quanities and
may be poisonous in the first generation of plants. *
(all succeeding generations will also be polyploid) bacause of this
poisonous quality.

However, the Medical Index shows colchicine being given in very small
quantities to people for treatment if various ailments. Although these
quantities are small, they would appear to be larger than any you could
recive form smoaking a seed-treated plant.

If so then the first batch would be to a greater or lesser extent toxic. Sounds like kind of a bad idea to me outside of a lab setting with trained personnel, gloves and other safety gear. Of course doing that with a non-consumable plant so to speak would only leave the danger of handling that substance, and I guess could be managed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back