What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your N. 'Miranda' appears to be N. ventrata.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your N. 'Miranda' appears to be N. ventrata.

This is the plant my buddy cut my clone from. Mine is young and just making lowers.
SCuNj1a.jpg

nice set up, great idea with candle holders. I too have a poi dog in my window and it only pitchers in summer and took longer than normal to acclimate to my window sill, i think the key is consistency in environment. Then again I grow D. regia next to Heliamphora and Nepenthes the same window, but can't seem to keep Drosera adelae alive to save my soul.

Sorry to disappoint you Randoja, but your plant is not N. 'Miranda'. Lower pitchers of that hybrid have large serrated wings, are rather evenly cylindrical in shape, and will have heavily mottled reds with a wide peristome. Yours is definitely N. ventrata: semi-ventricose pitchers, a thin, rounded peristome, and the seemingly bicolored red upper and lighter lower portions of the pitcher.

nice set up, great idea with candle holders. I too have a poi dog in my window and it only pitchers in summer and took longer than normal to acclimate to my window sill, i think the key is consistency in environment. Then again I grow D. regia next to Heliamphora and Nepenthes the same window, but can't seem to keep Drosera adelae alive to save my soul.
Thanks man!
Sorry to disappoint you Randoja, but your plant is not N. 'Miranda'. Lower pitchers of that hybrid have large serrated wings, are rather evenly cylindrical in shape, and will have heavily mottled reds with a wide peristome. Yours is definitely N. ventrata: semi-ventricose pitchers, a thin, rounded peristome, and the seemingly bicolored red upper and lighter lower portions of the pitcher.
Yeah I looked at the N. ventrata and the lower pitchers are a dead ringer for sure. But it really is hard to believe that this is one. My friend that I got the plant from doesn't and has never had a N. ventrata, and I've seen the plant it was cut from (pictured above.) Do you think the adult pitcher pic I posted is N. ventrata too? Outside of magical hybrid shifting it would seem a physical impossibility that this is a N. ventrata. It definitely looks exactly alike on the lowers, and I respect your input. I know that you know your stuff, I've seen a bunch of your posts. I'm just very confused about how a totally different species could just pop up from a N. 'Miranda' cutting. If you could post up a good example of the N. 'Miranda' lower you are describing I'd love to see it. I searched on google but too many pitchers to sift through with a novice eye. Thanks. Edit: Should it look like this?
images

And just fyi guys, It's not that I'm inclined to argue with you. It's more that I'm just baffled on how this plant got here if it's not N. 'Miranda'.

Maybe your plant is really making intermediates? Sometimes cuttings can have funky/irregular pitcher characteristics.

Here are some lowers of Nepenthes 'Miranda'. You can see the mottled pattern, flared peristome, prevalent ala and steady tapered shape of the traps.

Here is an upper N. 'Miranda' pitcher like the one in your friend's photo. The color on the uppers is generally this solid green, holding onto the red peristome with a more exaggerated tapering to the body of the traps.

Here are some Nepenthes ventrata pitchers. Notice the bulbous bottoms of the traps, the general curvy vase shape, the rounded peristome and the diminished to absent ala. The color is also an indicator, going from light at the bottom to deep red at the top.

The 2 hybrids really don't even look similar. I don't know what could have happened at your friend's place but, there was definitely a mix up somewhere.

Cthulhu138 posted some very good pics, that is what the plants should look like. And the pic you added of that very young lower is what an immature rosette pitcher from N. 'Miranda' should resemble.

Thanks a lot fellas and great pics for examples, I appreciate it and am here to learn. My friend said he has only made cuttings from 1 plant ever. At least if it is a N. ventrata, I can get a N. 'Miranda' cutting easy and have both :) He has a couple other cuttings from it that he recently took. They are rooted and we are going to put them under light to check out the pitchers. I did end up getting 2 2000 lumen CFL bulbs for the fixture above my windowsill. I think that it will do a nice job for some supplemental lighting over the winter. I was just going to turn it on when I wake up in the morning and off around 8:30 or 9 pm. I'm open to suggestion.
6IrCQkC.jpg

Just ordered this, pretty excited.

"N. Splashy is a *******ized grex from a large vigorous N. thorelii x (northiana x maxima) (Exotica Plants). The pollination was unintentional but the mother plant was very vigorous and produced large and attractive seed pods so we germinated it anyway. The resultant grex proved our intuitions correct as it produced a large number of plants that seem to have taken the best qualities of the mother plant and some exciting features from sneeky father."
10530869_10154840252515026_2410433180873500578_n.jpg

Update: I have pulled my plants from the windowsill because it's cold and the light is lacking these days. I've gotten a Sunblaze 22 and a New Wave 44 T5 lamps. Plants are happy for the most part, my newest Nepenthes thorelii x (maxima x northiana) x ? Father is a bit stressed getting accustomed to Oregon from Hawaii. I may have to use the bag method to get humidity up and harden it off to the conditions here. I'm running 15 hours on and 9 off, with daytime temps in the range of 65-75 and night 55-65. My next items coming are light stands and a light meter so I can elevate the plants properly to optimum foot candle, thermometer and hygrometer. I've gotten a new Cephalotus 'Big Boy' in a giveaway from RSS on here, which I really appreciate. I also received some Emu Point Cephalotus leaves that I now have rooting, hopefully. New plants coming soon are N. ventricosa from CtHulu138 (Thanks man!), and N. Wrigleyana, which will arrive with some Cephalotus mix for the big boy as well. As always any advice or tips are greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.

Whole current setup:
attachment.php

New Cephalotus 'Big Boy', Thanks RSS!
jrPgvW9.jpg

Sunblaze 22: New quarantined Nepenthes and all my Drosera.
attachment.php

New Wave 44: The rest of my Nepenthes, Cephalotus, and my Cephalotus leaf cuttings freshly dipped in rooting hormone and tucked in LFS.
attachment.php

Emu Point Cephalotus Leaf starts.
attachment.php

A dome of 4 N. 'Miranda' Cuttings at my friends place, that we took today. That is part of his collection as well, he just recently got them under that light.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141113_132923.jpg
    20141113_132923.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 20141113_142435.jpg
    20141113_142435.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 20141113_142522.jpg
    20141113_142522.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 196
  • 20141113_132851.jpg
    20141113_132851.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 20141113_105736.jpg
    20141113_105736.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 180
I went and got a thermometer/hygrometer today so I could more closely monitor my growing conditions. I have some plants showing signs of water stress with their contorted leaves, albeit I did just repot several so this could be due in part to transplant shock as well. Either way, I found that my room was 81 degrees under the light and 34% humidity. The cold weather here has the humidity really low. So I got a fan going now and put a tray of perlite under some of my Nepenthes under the 4 ft light. Things are pretty good for now. With the addition of the fan and perlite tray I was able to get a bit better conditions, lowering temp by 5 degrees and increasing humidity between 13 and 14%. Hopefully these will remain consistent for now. I have a light meter and light stands coming that will allow me to get all my plants individually elevated to optimum lumens. My next thing on my agenda is to start doing a bit of research into exactly what kind of conditions are best for my species and begin to cater to their individual needs as best I can without going too far overboard using domes and such.

New Thermometer/Hygrometer
Pv6pphN.png

Water and Perlite tray for extra humidity.
4Ony065.jpg

Thanks, me too. Working on keeping it alive, happy and acclimated to my setup here.

Got any pics? Or was the first image yours. I was under the impression it was the photo from the seller.

Yeah that's the seller's photo. I have some pics. It's a bit stressed out right now unfortunately. Lost one of the original pitchers after shipping.20141113_142522.jpg20141111_210106.jpg20141111_210127.jpg20141111_210037.jpg

Thanks!

Here are my most recent pics of everything. Temps are pretty consistent right now night time gets down to 60-65 degrees for a low and daytime high between 77-81. Humidity stays 46-48%.

20141115_152843.jpg20141115_152635.jpg

Drosera capensis self seedlings
43isY3F.jpg

N. spathulata x glabrata young pitcher.
1hOCQ7s.jpg

N. thorelii x (maxima x northiana) x ? pitcher
lO3KWNh.jpg

D. capensis Alba
RPVrsXJ.jpg

D. venusta and D. scorpioides (Currently sad, but getting better.)
H4vSNRS.jpg

Back