What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army of ants invaded my grow area and lost

Two days ago I noticed several ants hanging around my tray and I got kinda excited because there's been a shortage on flying insects. All my pitchers had nectars dribbling down them and by the time the ants were all captured, all the nectar were gone ^_^.

IMG_2474_zps20fcd7d7.jpg

They managed to reach the pots standing in water through a leaf of a Sarracenia that was sticking out

IMG_2480_zps014b13c0.jpg

The next day when I woke up, most of all my plants were 1/2 or almost filled up with ants. Some nepenthes at the bottom of the grow rack also had tons of ants in them. Needless to say, my plants were all well fed. I also stuck a chop stick down the pitchers and sprinkled some of the ants on my droseras. As you can see, the pitchers started turning color right away :)

IMG_2507_zps129a267e.jpg

IMG_2508_zps59e98b30.jpg

And then a video of the aftermath the day after the ants lost

Last edited:
Haha, nice. Why do the pitchers burn like that when well fed with ants? Is it the formic acid?

Awesome! Sarracenia sure are pigs!

Ngantnier
According to someone else it's from either too much prey above the digestive zone breaking down and releasing nutrients into the pitcher wall, or possibly from frantic ants spraying formic acid.

they are such pigs with so much nectar

They fought the Sarrs and the Sarrs won.

and the nepenthes, droseras, and flytraps. it was a much needed feast for everybody.

XD Epic...

That was one colonial migration that wont be made twice.

Back