What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sashoke's Picture Thread

I'd call the tiveyi pitcher an intermediate, not an upper; no tendril coil and not quite infundibular like the others I've seen.

I'd call the tiveyi pitcher an intermediate, not an upper; no tendril coil and not quite infundibular like the others I've seen.

Wouldnt it be strange for a vine cutting to be making intermediates? From my understanding vine cuttings can only make uppers until a basal grows, I could be mistaken though.

If the cutting was of a section making intermediates, it would not have to just make uppers, and I don't see why it might not revert (we don't understand everything about how plant hormones work to control such things after all). But, though x tiveyi uppers that I have seen usually have at least small wings, they are also highly infundibular like the maxima parents and still have rear tendril insertion like most uppers. If it weren't for the fact that your pitcher is hanging in the air and has tendril insertion starting to lean toward the back, I would have just called it a lower; veitchii produces lower-style pitchers for a long time from what I've seen and the trait undoubtedly can carry over.

Amazing plants! To be honest, I'm a bit jealous of all of those beautiful (and tubby) pitchers. My ventrata has been making tons of leaves and is currently forming a few pitchers. It seems determined to claim my desk as it's own, as well as my east window. :D Lately I have been focusing on my army of baby capensi and spatulata plants. I hope to get some more growing space as well as some more neps this spring. Good luck and great work!

If the cutting was of a section making intermediates, it would not have to just make uppers, and I don't see why it might not revert (we don't understand everything about how plant hormones work to control such things after all). But, though x tiveyi uppers that I have seen usually have at least small wings, they are also highly infundibular like the maxima parents and still have rear tendril insertion like most uppers. If it weren't for the fact that your pitcher is hanging in the air and has tendril insertion starting to lean toward the back, I would have just called it a lower; veitchii produces lower-style pitchers for a long time from what I've seen and the trait undoubtedly can carry over.

Interesting, thanks!

Amazing plants! To be honest, I'm a bit jealous of all of those beautiful (and tubby) pitchers. My ventrata has been making tons of leaves and is currently forming a few pitchers. It seems determined to claim my desk as it's own, as well as my east window. :D Lately I have been focusing on my army of baby capensi and spatulata plants. I hope to get some more growing space as well as some more neps this spring. Good luck and great work!

Thanks!

Careful with your army of baby capensis, I made the mistake of planting what must have been a couple hundred seeds and ended up just having to cull all but a handful of them. I did not expect 90% germination rate!

N. tiveyi is really drooling!
UaocTkJ.jpg

6N6kmFt.jpg

Noticed this little N. ventricosa "black" pitcher tucked away inbetween pots, it has a very nice dark purple color.
eNLAsKy.jpg

hKngNVF.jpg

N. burbidgeae x campanulata has some interesting speckled stripes on this pitcher, even before its opened. (This is probably one of my favorite hybrids, Im really enjoying its elegant pitchers.)

B4vSTAc.jpg

Dont really know how many separate growing points are in this Cephalotus pot, Ive abused it to hell throughout the years but its managed to survive. I want to repot it but I know Cephs are notorious for being stressed by root disturbances so Im a bit hesistant to do so. It is in 4 year old peatmoss though...

nh9diIQ.jpg

Trying something a bit new (for me atleast) going to be trying to germinate my N. ovata x aristolochiodes in this fish bowl. It's called a "Wonder Bubble" and has holes in the top and sides of the tank for ventilation. At night I suspend ice packs near the roof of the bowl and it gets the local temperature down to 50F all night. During the day it gets indirect light during the evening time and doesnt seem to get hotter than 85F, been hovering aroun 80F. The humidity seems to stay at 70-90% as well.

rU5Rgcj.jpg

My N. tiveyi is a big boy

vR08URo.jpg

VqVPVnX.jpg

Red basal

pGwoTVX.jpg

Can't wait for these N. burb x campanulata pitchers to open.

XVHK6uL.jpg

Your tiveyi certainly is big. How long did it take to grow it that tall?

Your tiveyi certainly is big. How long did it take to grow it that tall?

Grew it from a vine cutting aobut 2 years ago ish? The cutting to begin with was decently tall, probably about as tall as the brown section of the stem is, the rest is 2 years of growth.

N. tiveyi with a big leaf

VEeu3Wt.jpg

N. burkei "madja as" has a bit too large of a lid :0o:

kk81qju.jpg

Ah, thats a bit better ;P

X9dVU05.jpg

Finally repotted N. spectabilis x hamata with a bamboo stake, hoping for some pitchers this winter.

sRUtFUH.jpg

Due to constant struggles for real estate on my windowsill I messed around with some copper wire to make a hanging pot. I dont have anything to go into it yet. As far as I know the point of contact with the copper wire and the soil is small and thin enough that it shouldnt leech enough minerals into the pot to cause problems.

S7Dyhfk.jpg

Last edited:
N. burbidgeae x campanulata, still waiting on the peristome to flip. Gorgeous speckling on the underside of the lid and peristome.

Ansf5b4.jpg

Very nice. I like the pattern of the red speckling under the lid on pretty much all burb hybrids and this one keeps that up.

Very nice. I like the pattern of the red speckling under the lid on pretty much all burb hybrids and this one keeps that up.

Thanks! I really like the stripes and speckling as well. There is an even larger pitcher inflating right now so im excited to see that one too.

We've had nothing but rain for three days, but today the sun finally came out again :)

N. tiveyi

i5faFxm.jpg

N. ventricosa

c8KMMpD.jpg

N. burbidgeae x campanulata

M4DNfn6.jpg

aR3CRrf.jpg

N. sibuyanensis x spectabilis

CCmvwD0.jpg

N. ventricosa x (aristolochioides x thorelli) This plant is extremely weedy but seems to only make small pitchers, no matter how big the leaves get :(
bXrfqxR.jpg

kNmqaOT.jpg

N. spathulata x hamata looked like it wanted a hand to hold, so I gave it one :-O

2nV85rM.jpg

This weird looking N. ventricosa
7hvXTjx.jpg

N. ventricosa upper pitcher

POAuOtW.jpg

N. ventricosa x maxima is a weed! I've been giving it way way too much light, Ive had it growing too close to a powerful metal halide bulb and it was actually growing away from the window because it was burning up so much, I finally decided to stop being a crappy plant parent and remedied the situation. Hopefully now that it isnt being incinerated it will be more prone to pitchering :)

tM1dlXY.jpg

N. sibuyanensis x spectabilis has been inflating this pitcher for well over a month and due to how thin the pitcher still is, it doesnt seem like its going to stop growing anytime soon. Im thinking this is going to be a mammoth when it pops!

P4mtdC8.jpg

I fed my N. tiveyi a huge grass hopper that didnt even fully fit in the pitcher. When I first killed it and dropped it in, the back legs were sticking completely out of the mouth and maybe only half of its head was actually submerged in the digestive fluids. I didnt expect it to even be able to finish digesting it, and was just kinda curious what would happen. Over the course of just a week it has slowly digested the grass hopper from the top down, gradually lowering it further and further in as it dissolved. All that is left is this pile of legs and tail! I am amazed how quickly it digested this huge prey. I had no idea Nepenthes were this quick to digest their prey, I guess Id never really observed it until now.

RpxQUZ5.jpg

N. spathulata x hamata basal is coming up nicely!

Nn1enSq.jpg

E5dD2rh.jpg

N. burbidgeae x campanulata

AqO3Yhl.jpg

TXHc4Cg.jpg

OPvsJVG.jpg

KPIhU4o.jpg

N. ventricosa "black peristome" two fresh pitchers, arent old enough to be black yet though.
4MNoVin.jpg

9LJDaRO.jpg

PSA to triple check the tendril you are cutting. Pour one out for what could have been.
cFlvU5u.jpg

N. sibuyanensis x spectabilis
A1gs3PJ.jpg

IBjtbXV.jpg

Just noticed this little pitcher hiding on the other side of the pot
XHm3s27.jpg

q6Vnkx0.jpg

Some very nice coloration on this developing pitcher

7kKUxbr.jpg

N. sibuyanensis x spectabilis competing with N. ventricosa "black" for the Weed of the Year Award
gX5tDHL.jpg

N. sibuyanensis
3rejm5h.jpg

Back