What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sashoke's Picture Thread

those dews look so wet and happy.. also the
Spathulata x Rob is getting toothy!

looking great m8

those dews look so wet and happy.. also the
Spathulata x Rob is getting toothy!

looking great m8

Thanks! Though admittedly the Spathulata x Rob was always toothy ;P

In other news I count 5 S. Jonesii germinations. Woo!

The great ritual suicide of the ants seems to have come to a close, they have dissapeared as quickly and mysteriously as they came, leaving nothing but well fed plants and corpses in their wakes.

Seriously like, hundreds and hundreds of corpses. There must be at least 200 in my ventricosa "Red" alone. Here are some pictures of everyone's stuffed bellies! (Plainly visible by the very dark areas near the bottom of the pitchers.)

sibuyanesis
BtuXwuD.jpg

ventricosa "Black"
dE8Cflv.jpg

ventricosa "Red"
6FWc35H.jpg

These seem to be the only plants that the phantom ants were attracted to. So to compensate I gave all my other Nepenthes (And a few of the larger Drosera) cut up meal worms. Bon appetit.

Also, sibuyanesis made a cute pitcher:
rbKBZ1w.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to get a picture of inside of ventricosa "Red" but I really could not get any good angle to take a picture. But you guys will have to take my word for the black stew that is in there right now, nothing but a pitch black soup of dead ants. Im still baffled by where the heck they came from.

NlSsqOp.jpg

Ants apparently can cling to the sides of pitchers.

Picked up a deathcube VFT from Lowes yesterday, this thing is seriously light starved. Im hoping I can rehabilitate it.

p7Ekabe.jpg

Mutated growth from growing up against the sides of the cube:

ygiw85Z.jpg

LbvLq7V.jpg

Last edited:
S. jonesii germinations!
F8k58xE.jpg

S. flavas

SZi9DnE.jpg

uHfoOzh.jpg

ljkR86A.jpg

6691Jpz.jpg

rb2FKPQ.jpg

BbyLMoR.jpg

j6k0RXQ.jpg

KZtZnhL.jpg

Last edited:
I havent given N. "Red Leopard" much love in this thread, even though I think its one of my nicest looking plants! So here it is. This is my first and only plant Ive grown from a cutting.

ZdUX7Hk.jpg

Q316PS1.jpg

B8e9elo.jpg

Tendrils galore!
MxEUtpp.jpg

My N. burkei only grows pitchers in this corner of the pot.
AcA20vG.jpg

N. ventricosa (artist x thorelli)
YRDxckc.jpg

GWmnu8z.jpg

More S. jonesii germinations
QnfjTrI.jpg

D. capensis "Alba" are getting big.
BBQvCz6.jpg

Random Cephalotus pictures.

4NbyBMv.jpg

x8q94QO.jpg

Plants are looking good Brian, nice work!

Nice dude! those jonesii seedlings are looking top notch.
Its only a matter of time
before they take over...

That ceph also has some exuberant coloring.

So now that the mystery ants are all gone (I promise its true this time!) Every plant that got a mouthful now has a very noticable leaf jump! Im loving it!

N. sibuyanesis
cv2XMUl.jpg

N. burkei
Fs3w3oX.jpg

N. ventricosa(arist x thorelli)

5cipEzD.jpg

wFN32LX.jpg

N. ventricosa "Red"
7cHwncn.jpg

Bonus picture, little burkei pitcher:
KhzTDbo.jpg

Last edited:
Found this tiny little guy hiding on my S. flava. He blends in really well! Anybody know the species?

It is a crab spider.

"Nowadays, there are more than 2000 species of crab spiders all around the world. Only in the United States there are known to live around 200 species. Numerous crab spider species can be seen in Canada, too. The spider will mostly be seen on yellow, green and white flowers, but it can also make a habitat on woods, edges and in gardens."

"This spider a part of the Thomisidae family, of the Thomisoidea superfamily, Araneae order, Arachnida class, Arthropoda phylum and Animalia kingdom,"

"There are about 170 genera of spiders of this type in the world and more than 2,000 species that are known."

Above quotes are from:
http://www.crabspider.org/category/general-facts-about-the-crab-spider

Do a GOOGLE search for "crab spider images" to see the many wonderful varieties of this type of spider.

Last edited:
This wasp was too big to get eaten. :(

R2UZPfe.jpg

Capensis seedlings, bottle cap for scale.
PI1Mhdh.jpg

u4D5WBt.jpg

Under the dichrosepala

utlZWBC.jpg

These 2 have finally made pitchers that go out of the pot.
odHjNHT.jpg

xl3CfwE.jpg

hKTxS84.jpg

N. ventricosa "Black peristome" made a small pitcher for some reason, still cute though. (Previous pitcher in background, its way bigger)
9xdrPnj.jpg

Im really excited for all these tendrils. With 3 pitchers developing at once, surely at least one will be a beaut!
4qqO6hF.jpg

So one of the ice bottles I use to cool my plants was touching a tendril without me realizing (the leaf was stretching up really high) and it is now all shrivelled up (freezer burn) anybody know if this will make a pitcher or not?
QqrE7hp.jpg

At this point my spathulata x rob is a ship in a bottle. Its actually grown so much it can no longer fit through the gap in the greenhouse door, so I cant move it to look at this pitcher it made. So enjoy the back of it! :-))

cLXPuS0.jpg

I could get it out by taking the "tarp" off of the rack but its not that big of a deal.

One last sibuyanensis glamour shot ;P

G4Sazhz.jpg

Last edited:
So the ants are back again. ???

"Ring of fire"
dVGSOut.jpg

sibuyanesis and ventricosa "Black" are getting their fill again.
9vtZoop.jpg

OxqI69k.jpg

D. binata seedlings:
c9bqFyZ.jpg

NjfVYWm.jpg

That deathcube VFT is finally making some new growth after being severely sunburned. (Acceptable losses)

YezoMu5.jpg

N. spath x rob plz. Plz you dont know what you're doing. It doesnt have to be this way. Plz.

XnG4CE6.jpg

Last edited:
N. spathulata x rob has a really interesting lopsided peristome on this pitcher.

Z0L0IlU.jpg

dayum, your spatxrob is getting really big, looking super nice!! Your collection is is really growing!1

N. ventricosa(aristxthorelli) just opened its prettiest pitcher yet.

wYmPPwU.jpg

wMowQ7R.jpg

N. ventricosa(aristxthorelli)'s new pitcher is done forming. This thing is beautiful!

UTUHtlT.jpg

P6jzfmw.jpg

My N. ventricosa "red"s developing pitchers are really promising! Theyre already bigger than its previous pitcher and It doesnt look like theyre quite yet ready to pop. Keep growing! Keep growing! (also you can see the ludicrous amount of ants in that pitcher in this shot)

X4BjZSA.jpg

N. ventricosa "black peristome" made a new pitcher. (Also in the background, more ants.)

J8XKRi5.jpg

N. burkei is opening a new one as well.
dC0WbGo.jpg

After years of an uneasy truce, N. "Red Leopard" has broken the peace and set out on a conquest into my Cephalotus' pot.

We'll say it now folks, the strength and size of the Red Leopard is undeniable. It has a massive size advantage over the Cephalotus, and things arent looking good for our Australlian friends. However the word is the Cephalotus got a meal lately, that extra energy might be just what it needs to reinforce its western front with more soldiers and more defenses.

On the other hand, the United Nepenthes might not stand for this. After all the war mongering of Red Leopard has been frowned upon in the past. Will N. Spathulata x Rob and N. ventricosa "Red" step up and help Cephalotus defend? We cant be sure for now, but the word on the street is the United Nepenthes is in council as we speak, very possibly discussing this critical topic...

Until a decision is reached, our hearts and prayers go out to the Cephalotus people.

XcBJaDW.jpg

Shout out to Paul (Whimgrinder) for sending me a bunch of really nice plants, vine cuttings of N. burkei "madja as" and a bunch of seed grown N. ventricosas. I appreciate it Paul!

Last edited:
Back