What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sashoke's Picture Thread

Very nice! I assume that you have the N. Sibuyanensis developing pitcher on the moss to keep it moist?

Very nice! I assume that you have the N. Sibuyanensis developing pitcher on the moss to keep it moist?

N. sibyuanesis has burrowing tendrils, meaning they like to stretch down and go underneath the soil a little before inflating, without any solid ground under the tendrils, Ive observed them twisting and curling back upwards and then eventually shriveling up.
With this moss here however, the tendrils stop travelling around and start inflating very soon after making contact with the moss.

Its a species dependant thing, all my other plants are perfectly happy to inflate floating pitchers.

S. jonesii seeds have stayed this size for as long as Ive had them, I dont know why they wont grow ???

DEBwgIp.jpg

Dis peristome
O3ntCwi.jpg

TUBBY!

50Jug9y.jpg

Are you fertilizing the Sarracenia seedlings ? Osmocote usually sends them blasting off for me.

Last edited:
Are you fertilizing the Sarracenia seedlings ? Osmocote usually sends them blasting off for me.
I have not, but assuming the circumstances its a bit odd they wont grow.. they have fresh media, plenty of humidity and light ect.

Ill see about getting some fertilizer.

Might need more sun. I have a hard time with sarracenia too because my yard is light starved,
and even under artificial lights they dont seem to take off much. I think they demand full sun.

I think the problem might be too much light.. I have them under that growlight from Knuckles, theyre all pretty bright red, im wondering if its not too intense.

It's normal to see color in seedlings. How deep is that container? Mine don't grow if I don't give them enough space to root well. Maxsea as a foliar spray should help too.

thats so cool you're focusing on ventricosa and ventricosa group nepenthes!

My ventricosa "Red" just had a stroke

knyYH7X.jpg

N. spathulata x robcantleyi

nlFQq63.jpg

twj998A.jpg

One of Paul's N. ventricosa SGs

kswHKCF.jpg

N. ventricosa "Red". A new tubmaster in the making?

PMnQZrn.jpg

N. sibuyanesis (wish itd make bigger pitchers already!)
KUwz8t9.jpg

Probably the least represented plant in my collection, my Cephalotus. Theres three individual plants in this pot.

K44waYy.jpg

Sorry for the infrequent updates, I repotted most everything in my collection so everything is still recovering from that. Slower growth, nothing too showy ect. Hopefully things will speed up soon.

N. "Red Leopard" this plant is quickly becoming one of my favorites!

eyJf1x4.jpg

this new ventricosa pitcher :laaa:

TP0zbpj.jpg

8IqOGpc.jpg

SAiG0Su.jpg

N. burkei
k1bRQMc.jpg

the sun absolutely does wonders on plants. nice job m8

Very nice updates. Nice, full, colorful pitchers!

Just when you thinkit cant get any tubbier...
jWaN07I.jpg

Sorry for the far and few updates, along with very slim forum participation... in the middle of moving house and we're having to pack everything ect. Ill be moving this Wednesday.

Not sure how Ill manage my plants yet, think ill have to cut all pitchers off and carry them all in a tray in the car with me. So hopefully in these coming free days Ill get a chance to post a thorough update before I go and disturb all my poor plants :(

Last edited:

Last edited:
N. spathulata x robcantleyi
shGdwbb.jpg

N. ventricosa "Black Peristome" (The one on the left is a regular ventricosa for color comparison)

jzqgY0A.jpg

N. sibuyanesis

xmQKovc.jpg

N. maxima x ventricosa appears to be putting off a basal shoot, exciting!
cjFOWkk.jpg

Last edited:
Got all of my plants unpacked and into their new home! Going to leave the grow tent out of the equation for now though... it was a huge eye sore and kept me separated from my plants. Right now I have them all sitting on a huge window (s) that faces both south and east. It seems to be hovering at a good 50% humidity right now so I think we'll be OK. I wont get internet or cable till Next Sunday unfortunately, so no pictures until then. (On mobile)

Picture time!

My new setup (Not included my growlight and dews, since I still havent figured out where Im putting all that. They're hitchiking on the window for now)

EAr1Euw.jpg

I decided to ditch the grow tent for one reason, I had to remember to turn the fan on and off every day, otherwise it would bake in the sun. I wasnt allowed to sleep in on weekends cause if it wasnt turned on by 10AM its be over 100F in there! Furthermore the humidity during the day with the fans (which were neccessary to manage temperatures) could easily drop to 40% if I didnt mist it several times a day. The only upsides of this tent was the night time humidity (80%.)

Here during the winter even, I am maintaining a steady 50% humidity without a tent, and I no longer have any temperature issues, so thats a big plus in my opinion. Also, since all of my plants are intermediates or otherwise hardy hybrids, I dont expect any issues with these conditions, in fact I havent even noticed any of my plants slowing down or showing stress, I think since they were only in transit for about an hour they havent even noticed the change. Which is good!

Unfortunately I had to trim off all of the pitchers on my spathulata x robcantleyi in order for it to be removed from the grow tent, so here is a picture of them all sitting in a tray :( The center one is the oldest pitcher, the left one is second to oldest, an dthe right one is the newest, you can definitely tell by the size difference!

lQFhh2N.jpg

Snow!

yvpeD17.jpg

N. ventricosa "red" has already put out a new pitcher.

k64o3cj.jpg

And here is some more of its other pitcher (can you tell I like that pitcher?)

KmGcSL2.jpg

4hBP2cH.jpg

N. burkei has started making some toothy peristomes!
npYQCX6.jpg

ipzWABu.jpg

N. burkei "madjah as" vine cutting is slowly but surely putting out leaves. None of the tendrils have dried up on any of them either, so hopefully Ill start seeing some baby pitchers soon!

4mx4WJS.jpg

N. hamata x spathulata vine cutting is making some progress!

zJGzQ52.jpg

On a side note, I culled all but six of my D. capensis seedlings. There were probably twenty each in 3 inch pots and I hadnt repotted them for, what, almost two years now..?

Their growth had slowed down dramatically and they all started looking a bit ill. So I decided to quit neglecting them, chose the six largest ones and to my surprise.. they each had 7 inch long roots. In a 3 x 3 pot crowded with dozens of other capensis. Eek!

So the six chosen (3 "wides" and 3 "albas") have been thrown into a much larger pot to grow together. Ill post pictures of the arrangement once they start looking better, but at the moment theyre all pretty ugly to look at.

Well thats all for now!

Back