What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

we have a storm !! what to do with the cps

Well, congrats to california, we have a storm. Plus all the rain last week.

Do you move any of your outdoor CPlants inside?

I just moved all my plants inside the garage to prevent things falling on them or winds blowing the the pots away.

Anyone not concerned about storms?

There are large storms/heavy winds here frequently in the summer months, but I don't really do anything special to protect them. They usually come out just fine, but Sarracenia pitchers can be damaged and knocked down by heavy rains, winds, and hail.

If you don't want to risk any damage, I would move them into an area that is sheltered from heavy rains and wind, but I would not move any inside, especially right now.

It's just not necessary, and would take up a lot of space. That is just what I would do. If you have the space, and feel like bringing them in would be best, then go ahead. It really isn't a huge deal, paricularly for a short amount of time.

Best things to do vs wind (I get a lot):
-Use 50% sand in the mix to add weight
-Cut the pitchers off.
-If stuff falling on em is a concern, try an epic pile of mulch to cushion them.

Last edited:
I'm taking this opportunity to do some rainwater collection. I'm hoping to get 60 or more gallons stored, which will make maintaining my outdoor collection a lot more economical.

I'm a little late to the party, but I ended up bringing my smaller plants inside and left the three sarracenia that are potted in ceramic pots outside. I did move them off the wall down to the ground behind a little ledge so if they did get knocked over they wouldn't break. They were fine though.

I also pulled out my old 55 gallon drum, cleaned it out, and set up a rain trap. In the first 24 hours of that big storm the drum was over 2/3rds filled. I expect it to be filled in the next week or two.

Last edited:
Back