What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivory: What was your biggest catch?

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
Of all the things your plants have caught, which one holds the title?

For mine, it goes to my VFT, however the S. purp definitely holds
champion for number.
These were the only 2 I took picks of, however this plant in particular
has caught some king sized earwigs.

I believe this was a fly. perhaps a spider.
2ztczg0.jpg

Greenfly catch. Rest In Peace Dudes
NmHYZFn.jpg

I feel bad showcasing the deaths of these wonderful creatures,
but so Is nature. Its a true spectacle to grow these plants
and observe how they work.

I would exclude prey intentionally placed in the traps or on the plants otherwise there is a thread were somebody put a fish into their Nepenthes pitcher.

Probably the largest insect I've seen caught by my VFTs would be a European honey bee. The largest in proportion to the size of the plant would be a fly or crane fly or moth by Pygmy Drosera. I've posted the photos before and I'm too lazy at the moment to go through my posts or photobucket to find them. The Sarracenia have probably caught June beetles and the like but I rarely look inside the pitchers.

Pretty sure the second on got him lol

DSC03498.jpg

DSC03504.jpg

I find little round holes in the sides of my Sarrs where similar wasps chew their way to freedom.

I would exclude prey intentionally placed in the traps or on the plants otherwise there is a thread were somebody put a fish into their Nepenthes pitcher.
Yea lets make that clear. It only counts if the prey was caught without human assistance.
Nature caught only here.

My pings caught a cranefly, but I do wonder if it just didn't happen to drop dead and fall on the pings. My vft caught a yellow jacket this past fall. Suspect the cooler temps may have worked in the vft's favor by making the jacket sluggish.

My VFT frequently catch grand-daddy long-legs. I even have an "expertly" taken photo of this event... but I can't find it. Stay tuned.

Oh yeah. They also catch those iridescent blue mud daubers quite often.

Coolest thing I ever had in my pitchers was the Exyra moth. Very first year I grew CPs. It was so neat! They haven't come back since...

My larger sarrs will occasionally catch themselves an ichneumon wasp, many of which grow to very large sizes. Lots of European paper wasps and moths as well, which can be fairly large. I too, however, rarely look into the pitchers so one of my plants may have landed an even larger catch, I'm just not sure.

my largest catches go to my vfts as well, they've caught several bees and a huge moth once maybe about 2 inches big!

DJ57, you look to be our heavy weight champion so far.

Cool! In for more prey pics.

Here's the pic I mentioned earlier.

20140917_071609.jpg

I've seen my Cape catch May flies as pictured in Djoni's picture, too. The big dews and VFTs definitely reign supreme.

Drosera regia
D_regiamoth2316.JPG
D_regiamoth2318.JPG

Djoni and Bob are really making me fall in love with D. regia. Holy cow is that thing hungry!

Coolest thing I ever had in my pitchers was the Exyra moth. Very first year I grew CPs. It was so neat! They haven't come back since...

That would be one of the last things I would want to see on my Sarracenia. I hope your plants weren't affected too much.

Djoni and Bob are really making me fall in love with D. regia. Holy cow is that thing hungry!
Regias are awesome. Indicas are too, they get BIG

Back