What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i use fish tank water for nepenthes and sundews?

Is it okay? Also is the whole let tap water sit for 24 hours true?

In general, no and no. Fish tank water contains nitrogenous wastes from the fish, and is almost certainly not free of minerals. It may also contain dechlorinators and other things you add to the water.

Letting tap water sit may allow some volatiles to dissolve, but all dissolved solids are still there.

Depends. If the water is soft enough to use out of the tap, it might be ok for Neps. I wouldn't even try on Drosera.If the water is soft enough and you're doing large enough water changes often enough to keep the nitrates and phosphates near 0 it would probably be ok for Neps, at least the ones more tolerant of less than ideal water. As far as letting the water sit 24 hours, that depends too. What chemical does your local water company use to disinfect? If they use chlorine, yes. If they use chloramine, no. Chloramine is more common these days, but asking you water supplier is the way to be sure.

damn, im in the tampa bay are so my water is liquid rock with an 8.2 ph lol. Distilled it is, thanks guys.

Back