What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild Sarracenia, Dews and other CP's in the Southeast

I went back to Sarracenia oreophila country last week and I found (well, located I guess) another in situ population of S. oreophila! but first I also got to see the awesome S. oreophila exhibit at the Desoto State Park Nature Center! This exhibit was built as part of a Boy Scouts of America Eagle Project, that would of been an awesome Eagle Project to undertake, and along with building this exhibit another eagle project elsewhere in the park actually made a new S. oreophila bog! (There's a you-tube video of it somewhere, I'll have to find it)

ZoG4gzi.jpg

8tO3lqR.jpg

tLsPFgT.jpg

They had some excellent S. oreophila var ornata in the exhibit!
NF9WuWi.jpg

There was even a late blooming flower!
S6S5wjK.jpg

And now the new In situ location of S.oreophila I found.
These plants were past there prime but I figured everyone would like to see them anyway so here ya go!

First a habitat shot, this site was very small, next to a river, and very, very dry. This area of Alabama has been experiencing a bit of a drought recently so the entire park was drier than normal, though I now see why S. oreophila goes dormant so early!
Also I believe the re-bar stuck in the ground are plant markers but I can not be sure.
rkt5SGY.jpg

nlxBgLF.jpg

JtfLOyV.jpg

sguaK13.jpg

9VZlDzD.jpg

There were a bunch of failed flower heads
4CzIxRx.jpg

TI9vuFH.jpg

0ohDFea.jpg

oUvkWa7.jpg

This individual was about 12' from the main population and was growing directly next to the river
8VNg3fv.jpg

T9Ncpje.jpg

Thanks for looking, more pics to come!

EDIT: Found it! Turns out it was a different Eagle Project actually that made the new bog, but that's even better!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wn21gNmJ7sQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Nice pics Sflynn!
What a great project :-D

Thanks knuckles!
Yeah it was a very cool project to see, they also had indoor terrariums set up around the park at different buildings

As an Eagle Scout myself (and one who earned his rank with a local conservation project), this makes me very, very happy!! I applaud the person who made the effort to build such a thing.

Found the video! Turns out it was a different Eagle Project actually that made the new bog, but that's even better!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wn21gNmJ7sQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So this weekend I was out backpacking in the Bear Lake/Blackwater State Forest area saw a bunch of really nice CP's, but we were either moving to fast or the plants were in to bad of shape to photograph. However, right nest to where I set-up my hammock there was a nice narrow stream that was surrounded by sphagnum that fed into a low cypress swamp/bog. The stream-banks and the cypress swamp were filled with Pinguicula primuliflora growing in the sphagnum and in the water. It was really interesting to see and a very nice habitat for these plants.

gAWMmiN.jpg

WcSsWD9.jpg

OVh7tXn.jpg

intEfGh.jpg

37FY6QC.jpg

9Bb9vY2.jpg

J5dzQUP.jpg

2qI9Rw0.jpg

oxB5wId.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry the camera went a bit wonky on some of the pictures, I think the low light messed with the auto-zoom on some of them so some parts of the pictures are zoomed in and out a little weird.

Last edited:
Hey everybody! I have some more Pinguicula pictures today. These Pinguicula primuliflora were growing in a stream near my friends house, unfortunately it was raining so I couldn't get a good picture of the flowers:

AvpHOpf.jpg

4GREoNl.jpg

5XyNhNu.jpg

Some P. caerulea pictures coming up next

Back