What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Agreed. I need to get a small, light one. The one I have is monstrous and takes 2 people to move around.

Thanks for the Utricularia pictures. The macrorhiza with the black bladders look especially nice.

A few of the NECPS members got together with Jay Lechtman this weekend and hit some cp sites on Cape Cod and the adjacent mainland.

The first site we explored was one we visited last year. Never fails to please with a wide array of carnivores and other rare wetland plants.

Drosera intermedia

Drosera filiformis filiformis

Utricularia cornuta

Utricularia purpurea

Sabatia kennedyana - Plymouth Gentian

Site #2 is another one we went to last year. Very unique site situated at the edge of an abandonned commercial cranberry bog.

Drosera intermedia

Sabatia kennedyana

The 3rd site we visited was supposed to have Utricularia gibba var. biflora, which is very rare in the North. We didn't didn't find the elusive U.gibba but we did find some other very impressive plants.

Utricularia macrorhiza

Utricularia purpurea

Last edited:
That patch of purpurea is amazing!

Very nice Johnny! Your U. purpurea pics came out great. I had a hard time getting them in focus.

The 4th and final site was just off the Cape proper and back on the mainland. Another amazing site with a terrific variety of carnivorous plants ! Also, the only site where we found Drosera rotundifolia.

Rhexia virginica

Drosera intermedia

Drosera rotundifolia

Drosera filiformis filiformis (and yes, that red swath is ALL D.filiformis)

Utricularia cornuta

Utricularia purpurea

That patch of purpurea is amazing!

We didn't even stop to get photos of the REALLY amazing U.purpurea site. Hopefully Jay will get some pics when he heads into the area later this week.

Hopefully!

I really need to get down to the Cape, again.

You sure do ! Let me know when you make it down there, we have a few more sites for you to check out.

Today, we went in search of the elusive Utricularia purpurea forma alba. All we had to go on was a single report of the plant from a single pond from the 1970's. We're fairly certain that we found the correct pond however, the plants were nowhere to be found. We decided to to drive around the immediate area a little are were rewarded with 2 new (to us) sites containing carnivorous plants within a quarter mile of our target pond.

The 1st site we found was right beside a dirt road and held only a scattered population of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea.

The 2nd site we found was directly beside a very busy road just down the street. This site was much more diverse, host to many species of carnivorous plants and an exceptionally dense population of Pogonia ophioglossoides.

Drosera rotundifolia

Drosera intermedia

Growing completely submerged.

Utricularia gibba can be seen in the water just below these ones.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea

These 2 plants were growing completely inundated.

Utricularia cornuta

Utricularia gibba

We also found 2 more species of Utricularia here that were not in bloom.

Utricularia macrorhiza

Utricularia minor We were very excited about the discovery of this plant even though it was not in bloom as none of us had seen it before.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea, Drosera intermedia, Drosera rotundifolia and Utricularia cornuta all growing side by side.

Last edited:
The 3rd spot we visited today was a revisit from a few weeks ago, back in the Boston area. We also explored an additional pond which held some nice surprises.

Utricularia gibba

Utricularia gibba and Utricularia macrorhiza growing together.

Utricularia purpurea

Very nice! I love the seeing the floating mats of sphagnum with Sarracenia purpurea and various Drosera and Utricularia growing on them. How did you get so close to them?

The mats are surprisingly sturdy up here, you only get wet up to your ankles in most places. They can easily support the weight of several people at a time. Trotting across them is a weird sensation though, they undulate and quake with your every step.

Awesome photo trip!

Utricularia minor! Have you seen Utricularia intermedia in the wild?

Yes we have. Go back in this thread, there are photos of U.intermedia. We rarely see it in flower but it's one of the more common species locally.

Last edited:
This weekend saw us back on Cape Cod. We visited a site close to the tip of the peninsula with very healthy populations of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea, Utricularia cornuta and several species of orchids. I need to get back out here next May/June to catch the orchids in bloom, it must be quite a sight considering the density of plants. The 2 Drosera species at this site were all very small and rather unimpressive.

We were very surprised to find 3 Calopogon tuberosus still in bloom this late in the season.

We found a couple flowering Utricularia geminiscapa plants here.

Utricularia cornuta was everywhere we looked. We missed a mass flowering by only a week or 2 here.

Drosera intermedia

Drosera rotundifolia

This site hosted a large and healthy population of small, vibrantly colored Sarracenia purpurea purpurea. Oddly, none of the plants that had flowers had any pitchers.

It was at this point that I dropped my camera in the water so, that's it for now. Enjoy !

Nice pictures! The Sarracenia purpurea look pretty nice.

And on today's adventure..........

Sites on the South Shore of Massachusetts, some repeat visits and some new ones.......

We saw a single Sarracenia purpurea purpurea on a large floating bog accessible only by boat. There are sure to be many more plants out there, just couldn't access the area.

A large, crowded colony of Drosera rotundifolia.

Drosera intermedia

Utricularia geminiscapa

Utricularia intermedia

Utricularia purpurea

Utricularia cornuta

The infamous and elusive Utricularia resupinata.

Back