What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow! That looks like a fantastic trip! That's a ton of Utric flowers!

That cornuta island was intense. We'll be returning with a boat to get closer next time.

I've never seen so much U. cornuta in one place before! That's astonishing!

I've never seen so much U. cornuta in one place before! That's astonishing!

We were blown away by the site of it. The vibrant, yellow swaths were visible through the trees from quite a way off. It was a real " Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing ?" moment.

Your pictures of Utricularia cornuta remind me of the picture of the same species in the first edition of the Savage Garden. Must have been an amazing experience.

Wow! U. resupinata! I'm jealous.
Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

Wow! U. resupinata! I'm jealous.
Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

We're going back there this Saturday if you'd care to join us and see some amazing plants and unique habitats. More U.resupinata will be in bloom by then too.

Hmm...what I am doing Saturday? I know what I want to be doing, inviting myself along, but I don't know if someone else hasn't already made plans for me...

Let me know if you'd like to come down Natch, you guys are always welcome.

Thats all U. cornuta :0o:
Awesome! too bad I had to leave early. I might try to make it up next week, I'll have to see.

We're going back there this Saturday if you'd care to join us and see some amazing plants and unique habitats. More U.resupinata will be in bloom by then too.

Would love to... alas, I'm away at the moment and only come back to New England on Sunday. :(
Take some more photos!

A bit late to the party in posting these but here are my last bog trips of the season. I visited these locations in late August/early September.

This first trip was in up NH. We visited 3 very distinct and odd habitats that day. The 1st site was a very large typical sphagnum bog managed by the state, right on the side of major road. The site is well known to locals as a blueberry picking mecca.

Sphagnum as far as the eye can see.

Much of the bog was covered in these small, glistening spider webs.

These light patches you're seeing are actually the seed pods of U.cornuta.

This site boasts an impressive amount of Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea.

We found very few Drosera rotundifolia here.

Drosera intermedia was in abundance around the wetter areas.

Also found a Smooth Green Snake (Opheodrys vernalis) here, a species that I have not seen in a very long time.

A Woodcock (Scolopax minor) on the boardwalk.

And a Hawk Moth caterpillar complete with the pupae of it's parasites !

The 2nd site we visited was very odd. It was a swampy, grassy pond margin. The plants were growing in and among long grass and on tiny, muddy islands of decomposed grass and other organic material.

There was also a healthy population of Eastern Spotted Newts ( Notophthalmus viridescens) here.

The 3rd site we visited that day was by far he strangest. It was a very active beach and boat launch on the shore of a lake. There were D.rotundifolia growing here from the edge of the water, all the way up onto people's lawns, getting stomped on and mowed regularly !

Back in Massachusetts, we visited this site a few weeks prior but this time we returned with a canoe.

Utricularia cornuta in profusion.

Utricularia macrorhiza

All of the Sarracenia and Drosera were growing precariously of shaky, floating islands of Sphagnum.

Really nice photos and spectacular plants! I like the inclusion of the herps. The green snake is lovely.

All those purps are beautiful, great pictures!

Thanks, the plants were indeed stunning at all of these locations. I always like to add any herps and other interesting wildlife I find on my forays. Keeps it interesting I think.

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing the photos!

Back