What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cindy

Staff member
Here is how the RH and temperature (degC) changed from 4 Feb to 8 Feb, in hot and humid Singapore where I live. The readings are recorded by the datalogger every 10 minutes.

Genera of CPs I grow in above conditions
Dionaea
Nepenthes (lowlands and some intermediates)
Sarracenia
Cephalotus
Byblis
Drosera (tropical, some Pygmies and petiolaris complex species)
Utricularia
Pinguicula (Mexican hybrid)
Brocchinia
Heliamphora (minor)

Ok, this would make more sense...

Starts from 4 Feb (21:35:28) and ends 8 Feb (15:35:28). Lowest RHs correspond to highest temperatures.

Here are the Nepenthes species and hybrids doing well in such conditions.

x ventrata

red hirsuta

khasiana

alata

benstonei

albomarginata Cameron Highlands

ampullaria Bau giant

veitchii x campanulata

macrovulgaris_x_reinwardtiana

lowii x campanulata

adnata (same temperatures but in a breadbox with constantly high humidity)

Very healthy looking plants, Cindy. Do you grow these out of doors in natural sunlight? (With the exception of N. adnata.)

Hi Mark,

Thanks! All the plants are at my balcony, exposed to natural sunlight but sheltered from the rain. N. adnata receives natural sunlight too but the breadbox is at a more shady part, without direct sunlight. Yet last December, I had to change all the breadboxes as they were degrading from the UV in sunlight...If I could get the glass version of them, I would.

Thanks for the reply, Cindy. Here in the northern temperate zone in which I live the possibility of growing beautiful Nepenthes plants on your balcony is a beautiful fantasy. 'Nice to see it done!

N. rowanae also grows well in my conditions BUT I have lost 75% of the plants to scales during the wet and gloomy months. The only species to be affected by scales to such a great extent here. Nothing works...pesticide, no...systemic pesticide, no...sigh...

Next, the Sundews that do well in Sauna Singapore. Tropical ones and petiolaris complex species.

D. prolifera (these will melt when the cool night temperatures go up by 3-5degC)

I really like the tubby pitchers on the N. rowanae plant. Sorry to hear about the scale!

Ahh - petiolaris sundews out of doors :grin:

For the whole month of March

The x-axis is a time line eg. 0:06:26 and 12:06:26

That temperature and humidity range is very like that in my petiolaris terrarium.

Mark, I literally live in any lowland terrarium. ROTFLMAO

More pics from ambient Singapore conditions a.k.a. the petiolaris terrarium... LOL

N. hirsuta

N. bauensis 1

N. bauensis 2 - very dark form

N. ampullaria "Black Miracle"

N. gracilis var. nigropurpurea

N. gracilis

N. distillatoria

N. benstonei

N. hookeriana

N. macrovulgaris x reinwardtiana

N. campanulata x veitchii

N. longifolia

N. boschiana

N. x Miranda

N. mirabilis

N. rafflesiana var. nivea

N. alata Surigao

N. lowii x campanulata

N. reinwardtiana

N. sanguinea hybrid(?)

N. x ventrata

N. veitchii (pink)

N. campanulata x maxima

N. pervillei

N. northiana

N. treubiana

N. madagascariensis

N. campanulata (new plant)

N. neoguineensis (new plant)

Last edited:
Those in the same temperatures but with extra humidity.

N. maxima wavy leaf

N. maxima Poso

N. adnata

N. ampullaria x ventricosa

N. rafflesiana seedling

N. Viking seedling

N. andamana

It is a pleasure to see such a nice collection of lowland Nepenthes. 'Really like the photo of the N. x ventrata.

And absolutely no offense meant on the terrarium comment! Singapore sounds awesome.

Last edited:
Well, I'm impressed! That boschiana upper is beyond incredible! Also love the shape of the veitchii x campy, great hourglass look but it has a bit of a flared peristome as well.

It is a pleasure to see such a nice collection of lowland Nepenthes. 'Really like the photo of the N. x ventrata.

And absolutely no offense meant on the terrarium comment! Singapore sounds awesome.

Mark, no offense taken. I love the weather here. The humidity keeps our skin supple but our hair is hard to manage. LOL I have told by friends who visited that they find it hard to breathe on hot and humid days as they are used to temperate climate.

Most of these Neps have been with me from 5-10 years and I chose not to use cooling (only way is air-conditioning as the evaporative cooling is inefficient in such high humidity), even for intermediate species. They do go through hard times when the weather is hot and dry but the monsoon seasons have kept them going.

I am still in search of the more resilient form of N. hamata (if it exists) and hopefully one day it will be a resident at my balcony. :boogie:

I've grown one before - it died

I took over another member's plant - it died too

This is my 3rd one (or maybe the nth one already 'cos I would have forgotten the inbetweens).

From Malesiana Tropicals last October

With two growth points now, it came with one :boogie:

Lower pitcher - red

Intermediate(?) pitcher - green

Last edited:
Wow, Cindy, wow! Some of those plants are simply incredible. The N. boschiana, its colored like a N. burbidgeae!

Back