What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

:( my power is out

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
A tree fell on my power line Monday night. The power lasted a few hours after and then went out. The power company estimated it will be maybe next week before its restored. No power with record lows for the year.

I was able to save some of my collection but couldn't take all of my plants with me. I checked on the house to find the temp inside to be 46. All fish dead in the aquarium and I gazed at the remaining plants knowing the life is getting sucked out of them.

It sucks for sure but I am trying to me optimistic. I could be a lot worse. This ice store has already claimed the lives of a few.

Last edited:
Can't get a generator and put a space heater in there ?!?!?!?!?!

Damn, that's awful. if i can help replace anything from my collection let me know. i have at least 3 cephs ive gotten from you and there are others im sure.

This.

Or even a smaller heater could keep the inside temperatures reasonable enough.

Also, a week without power?? What is this, the third world?

I live out in the sticks on a decent size farm. Back roads have been dangerous to travel. They don't get the attenction main roads do. Got the family out to the city with family where its safer.

I could do a generator or a heater but the risk is not worth the reward. It will be dangerous to travel to maintain and if something else goes wrong while im not there I could burn the house down!

Damn, that's awful. if i can help replace anything from my collection let me know. i have at least 3 cephs ive gotten from you and there are others im sure.

Thank you for your most generous offer. I got most of the good stuff out...I think. Hopefully what was left can be replaced easily

This.

Or even a smaller heater could keep the inside temperatures reasonable enough.

Also, a week without power?? What is this, the third world?

Multiple states in the south east have declared a state of emergency.

Last edited:
Damn, well I wish you the best of luck, if that's possible. Stay safe and you gotta look after your family first (humans and mammals first). Let us know what you end up losing (if you end up losing stuff) I'd be happy to pitch in as well if I can.

I have some extra aquarium plants if you need them.
Good luck with everything! Stay safe!

Generators and space heaters are a way of life up here. My mom has one that runs for about 16 hours on 5 gallons of diesel. The small ceramic space heaters they make now are very safe. You'd almost have to try to burn a house down on purpose with one.

Hope everything turns out ok. Good luck !

MyFriend knows a way to hot wire a generator into your furnace. Says it works great.

I sorry this happened to jcal. This cold snap caught my buy surprise to was at the hospital for 2 days and come home to frozen pipes and a I think Reid ceph it sucks. On a side note your situation really makes you decide what plants u really want.

Very sorry… I would be happy to replace some plants in your collection, but hopefully that isn't necessary.

Sorry to hear about this... hope your collection pulls through ok, and let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Jcal,
Sorry to hear of your recent predicament. Hopefully it will be repaired soon, and you can get everything back on track.

We too just had our own minor power outage. Our power is delivered to our meter, underground from the transformer on the pole and transmission lines running above the road in front of our property. For some reason, when they were initially installed, the underground wires were a few feet short of our meter pedestal, also containing the main breakers. A few years ago, one of those splices had gotten infiltrated with moisture and corroded until it failed. It took them a few hours to locate the fault and replace the failed splice with a new splice. Now, just last week the other hot legs' splice had failed in the same manner, and just a few inches from the splice that had already been repaired. It took nearly six hours for them to locate the fault, then dig to access it, and repair it.

It had likely been in the process of failing, for some time. I had thought our refrigerator was beginning to fail. Its ability to maintain proper temperature, especially in the freezer compartment, was sporadic. Now that the failing splice has been repaired, the refrigerator is working fine, again. In hindsight I should have tested the actual voltage being delivered to the refrigerator, then I might have avoided a six hour outage, and possible damage to our electrical appliances.

How is everything going up there, looked out my window this morning to a clear frozen driveway. I recall back when we lived in OK we were without power for about a week in a large city, I don't recall losing any plants but we are further south. A lot of the plants are tougher than we give them credit for.

Let me know if you want replacements of anything I've sent you or you have sent me.

Back