What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Certain plants not flowering.

Hey guys, i'm relatively new to the site, and to growing CPs. I have a pretty small collection established and some others in the works, but my question is about plants flowering. More specifically the plants ive had for the past 1-3 years since i've started. I have white tops pitcher plants, purple pitcher, a basic VFT and a D. Capensis. (sorry to lazy to look up the other latin names). My VFT and purple pitcher have never flowered, my white tops and sundew have. I'm just looking for some insight as to why some are flowering and others may not be. The plants are all very healthy , tons of traps and great color. For some info, I live in the Florida panhandle, so all these guys are pretty much native here. I have them all in a peat/perlite or peat/sand/perlite mix. They are also kept outside.

How large are the plants? It's possible they are just too young to flower but they should do so every year if they are large enough.

How much direct sunlight do they get?

Both plants are quite large, the VFT grows roughly quarter sized traps and my purple has tons of traps, largest are about 5-6 inches tall. As far as sunlight, they are kept outside so a full 10-12 hours.

Also i'm just using the VFT as another example of what I think is a healthy plant not flowering. Im really only interested in my purple flowering so I can attempt to cross it with my white tops which the flowers are just starting to open on.

Last edited:
How long has it been since you got these specific plants? I've had instances where mature, flowering-sized Sarracenia (the pitcher plants) didn't flower until a year or two after I received them.

I got my purple 2 years ago, same with my vft, my sundew about 1.5 years ago and my white tops a little less than a year ago.

Back