What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great pics! Was taking a look at some of the older pics too. Getting some great growth on those seedlings. Very cool nepenthes collection as well.

Thanks! Your N. burkei x hamata seems to have much better color than mine, even though they're both BE - 3612. I've chalked it up to better lighting, but I talked to Ryan at the show and he told me that he's seen specimens that were nearly black, even without intense lighting. I guess it's one of the virtues or vices of seed grown Neps, depending on how you look at it - you'll never know what to expect!

Drosera capensis "Wide Leaf"
IMAG1372_zpsjoyozjhp.jpg

D. capensis 'Albino'
IMAG1374_zpskksylhuk.jpg

D. capensis"Giant" Thanks ErrorEn!
IMAG1373_zpskkxi9kjl.jpg

D. sessilifolia
IMAG1375_zps3sfp1ejg.jpg

D. burmannii
IMAG1376_zpsdzlgmfnk.jpg

D. hartmeyeroum
IMAG1378_zps7ifi9kjg.jpg

D. scorpioides
IMAG1379_zpsycvjbppj.jpg

D. nitidula x pulchella
IMAG1380_zpsjqrhfiud.jpg

Assorted Dionaea from seed generously donated by Johnny:
IMAG1381_zpssehmieg0.jpg

Drosera venusta
IMAG1382_zps71crwgk9.jpg

D. capillaris
IMAG1383_zpsvxmxmrpj.jpg

D. aliciae Thanks Radagast!
IMAG1384_zps4anvyrty.jpg

D. x eloisiana F2 (formerly beleziana)
IMAG1386_zpsyievwjgv.jpg

D. intermedia Bear Lake, NJ
IMAG1387_zpse2xwbhqa.jpg

Nepenthes singalana x aristolochioides
IMAG1388_zpsfpshywuh.jpg

N. burkei x hamata
IMAG1389_zpspitysnkf.jpg

IMAG1390_zpsk5ebtei6.jpg

N. attenboroughii
IMAG1391_zpsm1jxfmyo.jpg

IMAG1392_zpsbnomhvvt.jpg

Very nice Drosera filiformis from Dragoness. No transplant shock at all!
IMAG1393_zpsx4fchje7.jpg

Great stuff! I appreciate the shout-out :). You'll have plenty of fun potting up those aliciae seedlings (Bwahaha!). But seriously - all of your stuff looks wonderful; awesome color on your Nepenthes as well.

Last edited:
Nepenthes fusca "flared peristome" BE
IMAG1463_zpsbr3wju0l.jpg

N. singalana x aristolochioides looking better now that the summer heat wave has passed.
IMAG1448_zpsa15rlfln.jpg

IMAG1468_zpsvzhbqod4.jpg

N. burkei x hamata freshly popped
IMAG1467_zpsrk5lqbo1.jpg

N. jacquelineae first pitcher under my care.
IMAG1475_zpsuw4j2x97.jpg

IMAG1474_zpsqbwyxqgy.jpg

Promising color on N. attenboroughii
IMAG1473_zpszjcti6hd.jpg

Heliamphora minor I picked up a month ago from the NECPS show has finally put out a new pitcher.
IMAG1469_zpso5bg9bsw.jpg

H. nutans also from the show working on its second pitcher.
IMAG1470_zpschixmktv.jpg

H. arenicola
IMAG1444_zps852xpgmm.jpg

The famous yellow trichomes of Drosera hartmeyerorum.
IMAG1478_zpsixdwmy5t.jpg

Nepenthes jacquelineae Gng. Gadang BE
IMAG1527_zpsutglnhyl.jpg

IMAG1540_zpswdzgddfe.jpg

N. glabrata BE
IMAG1528_zpsrytdvcdr.jpg

N. muluensis x lowii BE still coloring up.
IMAG1535_zpsbbw1vgtg.jpg

N. attenboroughii SG
IMAG1537_zps5lvgjdy3.jpg

IMAG1538_zpsluctszsu.jpg

N. talangensis x robcantleyi BE
IMAG1531_zpsvxvlvf8w.jpg

N. burkei x hamata BE colored up.
IMAG1534_zpscfmtwgkq.jpg

N. "Splendiana" x "Song of Melancholy" SG
IMAG1532_zpsdp72lx2t.jpg

N. "thorelii" - D (EP) x veitchii doing well as a highlander.
IMAG1533_zpsfhubsege.jpg

N. ventricosa transitioning to uppers:
IMAG1541_zpsvtwpmuu5.jpg

Impressive amount of exudate:
IMAG1542_zpsffk0flml.jpg

Drosera dielsiana (true) putting out a flower stalk. Thanks Radagast!
IMAG1525_zps4wxrz5oq.jpg

D. venusta "var. coccicaulis"; Thanks again Radagast!
IMAG1530_zpstzt7pjqs.jpg

D. solaris recovering after a nasty shipping accident that saw it lose almost its entire root system.
IMAG1526_zpsttf95k6j.jpg

not D. burkeana? Other than the fact that it's from Africa, I really have no idea what these are...
IMAG1529_zpsz2doujcn.jpg

D. intermedia "Bear Lake" NJ courtesy of ErrorEn.
IMAG1539_zpsmzryyinl.jpg

I keep looking at the burkei x hamata others have and thinking....they look absolutely nothing like mine! There's a lot of variation in that cross...
Great color on the atten too, and the jacq. Ticked I lost all my SG seedlings of the latter. Still have 5 of my jamban, but something about jacquelineae....

Thanks! Certainly seems to me that burkei x hamata is a very variable cross too - didn't BE release two different seed-grown batches under different serial numbers? I'm growing 3612, I think the other one was 3594...

Sorry to hear about your jacq seedlings, seed-growns of that species are pretty tough to come by nowadays.

Last edited:
Great update, and thanks for the shout-out. I'm glad to see everything is doing well.

Thanks! Certainly seems to me that burkei x hamata is a very variable cross too - didn't BE release two different seed-grown batches under different serial numbers? I'm growing 3612, I think the other one was 3549...

Sorry to hear about your jacq seedlings, seed-growns of that species are pretty tough to come by nowadays.
It appears then that yes they did release at least 2 batches, mine is number 3594 (I'm guessing the digit order there was just mixed). And yeah, SG o nearly any species is somewhat hard to find, especially the highlanders (and if you're a broke college kid). I do have a pair of rajah x jacq, though, so that counts for something....

Nepenthes jacquelineae colored up
IMAG1587_zpscalb09dz.jpg

N. jacquelineae freshly opened
IMAG1588_zpsqlxgxvip.jpg

N. veitchii H/L x burbidgeae
IMAG1589_zpsp9ro9mqi.jpg

N. talangensis x robcantleyi
IMAG1590_zpsxprchxog.jpg

Heliamphora nutans Kukenan Tepui
IMAG1585_zps9nvrxxyq.jpg

H. arenicola
IMAG1586_zpsinj5l9gr.jpg

Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea
IMAG1568_zpsx9gjekz7.jpg

S. ('Hurricane Creek White' x 'Adrian Slack') x OP
IMAG1569_zpsxrfj03c7.jpg

Drosera venusta var. coccicaulis
IMAG1570_zpsvli3ow2s.jpg

D. capensis "Red"
IMAG1571_zpsboz8rwzu.jpg

D. sp. Africa
IMAG1572_zpsrra1wpho.jpg

D. sessilifolia
IMAG1573_zpssnieo96g.jpg

D. intermedia "Bear Lake, NJ"
IMAG1574_zpsdhpb3ci4.jpg

D. capensis 'Albino'
IMAG1575_zpsqbapydja.jpg

D. capensis "Wide Leaf"
IMAG1576_zpsolbcsmkg.jpg

(probably) D. nidiformis
IMAG1577_zpslwhtfuuh.jpg

D. capensis "Giant"
IMAG1578_zpso2wgryco.jpg

D. hartmeyeroum a few months behind the crowd.
IMAG1579_zps9zxq6c0g.jpg

D. x eloisiana F2
IMAG1580_zps7tlftwku.jpg

D. capillaris
IMAG1581_zpsmqhsgg3t.jpg

D. aliciae Radagast, what have you done to me :lol:
IMAG1582_zpsjrrpnbfb.jpg

D. dielsiana
IMAG1584_zpshxtdj9wm.jpg

Dionaea
IMAG1583_zps4a00djpu.jpg

Last edited:
The venusta seedlings look like nidiformis, pics are attached to the labels below them... the "coccicaulis" venusta have the right leaf shape so far though..

The venusta seedlings look like nidiformis, pics are attached to the labels below them... the "coccicaulis" venusta have the right leaf shape so far though..

Looks like I should start being suspicious of everything that comes into my collection. The seeds came to me as a jumbled mix of stalks labeled as venusta, nidiformis, and burmannii...the burmannii were quite distinctive and easily separated out, but I never really thought about the other two. There are seedlings in the batch with noticeably thicker and shorter petioles that look like the "coccicaulis" venusta, I suppose those are probably the true venusta (unless I didn't get germination from that species at all). I guess I'll wait until the seedlings mature a bit to make a definitive call on ID.

Hahaha Alvin the D. aliciae pic make me lol. That is certainly what I would call "likely 100% germination rate" hahaha. You've got great germination rates on all the seeds. Your Nepenthes look great - they're all drooling like crazy. It's also pretty cool that you've got a flower stalk on the dielsiana that I gave you at the show- it's growing quick!

Thanks Rich, although you get the credit for growing the D. dielsiana so well in the first place! Congrats about your promotion the NECPS Newsletter, too.

Looks like I should start being suspicious of everything that comes into my collection. The seeds came to me as a jumbled mix of stalks labeled as venusta, nidiformis, and burmannii...the burmannii were quite distinctive and easily separated out, but I never really thought about the other two. There are seedlings in the batch with noticeably thicker and shorter petioles that look like the "coccicaulis" venusta, I suppose those are probably the true venusta (unless I didn't get germination from that species at all). I guess I'll wait until the seedlings mature a bit to make a definitive call on ID.

Oddly enough the two will likely produce fertile hybrids, but nidiformis has far thinner petioles than just about everything else in its group, which includes venusta, aliciae, natalensis, dielsiana etc...which reminds me my next note: nearly all "dielsiana" in cultivation are actually natalensis, but the two are nearly indistinguishable. The main difference is the former having rounded seeds, the latter having seeds with tapered tips....

which reminds me my next note: nearly all "dielsiana" in cultivation are actually natalensis, but the two are nearly indistinguishable. The main difference is the former having rounded seeds, the latter having seeds with tapered tips....

Hcarlton - I highly doubt my dielsiana are natalensis as I received them marked as "true dielsiana, not natalensis", from the ICPS seed bank.

nearly all "dielsiana" in cultivation are actually natalensis, but the two are nearly indistinguishable. The main difference is the former having rounded seeds, the latter having seeds with tapered tips....

Hcarlton - I highly doubt my dielsiana are natalensis as I received them marked as "true dielsiana, not natalensis", from the ICPS seed bank.

I guess we'll find out once that flower stalk is done developing, then!

Radagast, once upon a time so did I. And the seed bank is still vulnerable to mislabels, but if they turn out to be the true dielsiana I'm interested in obtaining material at some point to compare the two myself.

Back