What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum moss and peat bogs

Hi everyone.
The last couple of days i've been studying (I'm currently finishing my Biology career) and I've realized I'm using a non renewable resource to cultivate plants and i'm helping to destroy the habitat for the same plants i'm cultivating. What the hell? I mean, it's terrible.
But I have no idea what other type of soil could be use..
Is anyone of you having the same dilema?

The renewability of sphagnum bogs is an arguable topic.

Depending on the species of plant, many growers have experimented with alternative substrates that are less heavy on the sphagnum peat.

But yeah, it is a sticky subject. The mass peat processing facilities in Siberia are not pretty whatsoever. I am lucky enough to live in an area with plentiful sphagnum bogs. I was able to collect a bucket of fresh peat the other day with little or no impact on the overall bog. . .

The sghagnum moss is easy, just grow your own. I produce enough for my needs every year without much effort, and even have enough left over to use some of it to ship the more delicate plants.

That's a really good idea - as another plus live sphagnum is better for many plants than the dried lfs you buy at the store.

Live sphagnum is not so much the issue as sphagnum peat moss is, due to its slow production rate. But, the biggest issue with collection of peat is not CP growers, but those who use it en masse in potting soils and similar products.

Live sphagnum is not so much the issue as sphagnum peat moss is, due to its slow production rate. But, the biggest issue with collection of peat is not CP growers, but those who use it en masse in potting soils and similar products.
Yes this. Carnivorous plant cultivation makes up a very small percentage of total peat use since it is mainly marketed to acidify soil and improve moisture retention. It also depends on where you buy from. As far as I'm aware, New Zealand LFS is harvested sustainably and I believe Canadian peat is as well. Chilean products definitely aren't.

Or peat powered power stations , its used in bricks and burned to heat homes as well , I think the horticulture industry uses quite a small amount compared to these two. My bag of peat lasted a few years and I bet thats a couple ot nights worth on an open fire. Not saying it's a bad idea to try and be green and of course every little helps but its probably insignificant

I recently made an alarming discovery - all the MiracleGro potting brand mixes that many horticulturalists (and myself) have been buying for years are comprised mainly of sphagnum peat moss (probably harvested insubstantially), while compost would serve as an easy and better alternative. What really irritates me is that companies like this create a huge hype about their "secrete formulas" growing gigantic, healthy plants when all they do is add tons of fertilizers and other trash to perfectly fine peat moss. I can't even use the stuff for carnivorous plants, and most gardeners end up throwing it away every year, since it gets too compacted and acidic for traditional garden plants.

There are several threads on this subject. Hit the -search- function on this website and check them out. :D

Back