What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What am i looking at here? Nepethenes in trees?

I am working on a project and I was curious as to what is going on in this picture. I have a Nepenthes but it sits on ground next to a few venus fly traps.

I saw this image and have seen others like it, where they appear to live on trees or on vines. Is that the case? do they root in other plants? or is that vine actually a part of the Nepenthes? Do they cast out runners and attach somehow?

Sorry if this is sort of a noob question. ;)

imgflore18677_e7a636.jpg

This particular one is a climbing vine from a terrestrial growing plant but many species are also epiphytic. Nepenthes endemic to tropical forest habitats growing up into and even on trees is the rule, rather than the exception to it.

Last edited:
From what I understand the tendrils between the leaf and the pitcher will wrap around other plants to support the vine as it climbs.

Welcome to the incredible world of Nepenthes. This is what drew me in, the incredible diversity.

Back