What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First plant for Chicago area

I have asked questions about plants on here before. I was interested in instead of keeping one inside if i put it outside. Anyone have luck with this? Or Do you need it in a pot? If so what are some that would be good for Illinois around this year? I would be most interested in nepenthes but any will do.Hope someone can help. Thank you

Nick

Carnivorous plants or any type? For CPs it would be safe to grow dionaea muscipula vfts outside in Illinois. Just beware of birds... they can and will tear them which has happened to me. I wouldn't have Nepenthes outside unless in a greenhouse type of environment b/c of your humidity levels. If you're good with high humidity plants since you're used to keeping dart frogs, then try a Nepenthes Rafflesiana typical lowland. They grow very fast in high humidity environments and produce gorgeous big pitchers quickly with good light. Tiny green pitchers will be baseball sized red/purplish pitchers in no time at all. Maxima, Sanguinea, & Ventrata all grow well as windowsill plants in your home as well & are pretty much bulletproof.

As for non carnivorous - there are 2 many to choose from

Last edited:
I am in Chicago as well, I grow Nepenthes singalana, an unknown Nepenthes from Home Depot that hasnt pitchered yet, VFT, and Drosera capensis on my windowsill. Sarracenia and VFT are doing well outside for me.

My name is also Nick hahaha.

I plan on putting my unknown Nepenthes outside as well. Unfortunately I started to acclimate it to full sun, but the weather has been so hectic and cold this past week, that I decided to wait another week or two to acclimate it. I have some Nepenthes an D. capensis cuttings that I'm rooting, so we should trade if you have some stuff!

Back