What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally, some good news . . .

It looks like we'll soon be seeing launches from Cape Canaveral once again, as Boeing and Space-X plan on delivering astronauts to the International Space Station by 2017.

For someone who grew up during the height of the Space Age -- many of us recall or even had models of the lunar lander, complete with gold-colored foil and maybe the enormous multi-stage Saturn V -- the current station itself is a stark disappointment, especially given the cinematic promise of 2001: A Space Odyssey. If Kubrick's station had been accompanied by a Strauss waltz as it spun there, slowly in orbit, the current spartan one would be accompanied by a kazoo and ukulele band.

It may be difficult to understand for some younger people; but watching our astronauts -- once, our childhood heroes, who actually did something significant to achieve their renown -- go hat in hand, for seventy-one million dollars a head, to the Russians -- the Russians! -- only to be launched from what appears to be 1960s technology, from Whathef**kistan, it was and is truly cringe-worthy . . .

Last edited:
I had a lunar lander model back then. I loved the gold foil look!

It looks like we'll soon be seeing launches from Cape Canaveral once again, as Boeing and Space-X plan on delivering astronauts to the International Space Station by 2017.

For someone who grew up during the height of the Space Age -- many of us recall or even had models of the lunar lander, complete with gold-colored foil and maybe the enormous multi-stage Saturn V -- the current station itself is a stark disappointment, especially given the cinematic promise of 2001: A Space Odyssey. If Kubrick's station had been accompanied by a Strauss waltz as it spun there, slowly in orbit, the current spartan one would be accompanied by a kazoo and ukulele band.

It may be difficult to understand for some younger people; but watching our astronauts -- once, our childhood heroes, who actually did something significant to achieve their renown -- go hat in hand, for seventy-one million dollars a head, to the Russians -- the Russians! -- only to be launched from what appears to be 1960s technology, from Whathef**kistan, it was and is truly cringe-worthy . . .
Sad that the attitude which made all that happen back then is reviled by so many today. As a country we once strove united to achieve a singular greatness. Now we don't even seem to want to keep up. It's like watching a prequel to "Idiocracy".

I'm probably smack dad in the middle of the generations represented here on the forums (27 years). I'm too young to have experienced to national fever for space exploration, and old enough to have experienced plenty of pro/anti government and national sentiments. However, I don't think it is a contentious issue that space still holds many questions and answer waiting to be found, with both knowledge and hope waiting for us out there. I'm excited for this part of our future!

don't mess with a ukulele band :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDjxmant74Q

Back