What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I spent this weekend visiting different CP sites throughout New England. The first stop was a failed attempt to see Pinguicula vulgaris in New Hampshire with Natch. The site is at the top of a large talus slope. We were able to get about 3/4 of the way up but then got stuck at a thick treeline growing near the top of the slope. Next year we will try to break through it somewhere.

So first up really was a bog in southern NH that I stopped at on my way to MA, there were a lot of really nice Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea here:

D. rotundifolia:

Thamnophis sauritus, Ribbon Snake:

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea:

D. intermedia:

D. intermedia and rotundifolia:

The next few sites were all really sandy ponds and shorelines with lots of D. filiformis, D. intermedia and various Utricularia that I went to on Sunday with a few people from the NECPS and Jay Lechtman.

First site:
Tiny American Toad?:

Green Frog:

D. intermedia:

D. filiformis:

U. purpurea:

U. cornuta:

Nymphaea odorata:

Nymphioides:

Sabatia kennedyana:

Some species of Lobelia?:

Baby Pickerel:

Toad getting stuck in D. intermedia, there were a ton of these little tiny toads that would get stuck in the Drosera for a bit, seems they usually were able to wriggle free though:

Last edited:
Nice Greg ! I didn't have the gumption to get my pics up tonight. That pink flower is the Plymouth Gentian, Sabatia kennedyana.

great photos! I love seeing wild Cps. there are times I just search the internet for them

Nice Greg ! I didn't have the gumption to get my pics up tonight. That pink flower is the Plymouth Gentian, Sabatia kennedyana.

Thanks, I'll fix that. I don't either, but I want to try and get everything up before I forget what some of the more obscure stuff is, like that one. And I'm not gonna want to do it tomorrow either.

Last edited:
Site 2:

D. filiformis:

D. intermedia:

U. geminiscapa:

Some really slender Sagittaria:

Dunno:

Site 3: This was basically a U. purpurea pond with some U. macrorhiza scattered in.

All of the purple haze on the water is U. purpurea flowers:

U. macrorhiza:

This last site was two ponds almost connected to each other. Walking in we saw a lot of Utricularia purpurea, some U. geminiscapa, and a lot of D. intermedia. It wasn't until we got to the back side of the pond that we found D. filiformis, and we found a lot of it. The interesting thing that Johnny noticed was the second, almost connected pond was the same way, D. filiformis only appeared on the back side. The first pond site we went to was the same way. We were thinking that the wind may distribute all of the seed from them to one side of the water.

Rhexia virginica:

D. intermedia:

Coming around a corner of the pond I spotted a huge patch of Rhexia:

American toad:

D. intermedia and Rhexia:

Bluegill:

D. filiformis:

D. intermedia along the shorline:

U. cornuta:

This was also the only site on Sunday that we found D. rotundifolia:

All the red is D. filiformis:

U. purpurea:

This D. rotundifolia was about the size of my hand:

All great pics Axel. I especially love the pond pics with the U. purpurea and lily pads. Gorgeous.

Nice photos. The Utricularia geminiscapa flower looks surprisingly like the flower of Utricularia gibba.

Sundews will grow just about anywhere, won't they! nice pics

Great pictures really wish i could take a trip somewhere like that someone soon! Looks like you guys had a great time and saw alot of great stuff. Id especially be interested in seeing where the utrics lived and their natural habitat to see just how they live in nature and how much space they try to take over, i really like the color of tge flowers on U. Cornuta and U. macrorhiza, nice shaped flowers too :). That little toad on ur finger/hand is the cutest thing ever!! Omg!! Lol :) thanks for sharing

Last edited:
That snake is actually Thamnophis sauritus, a Ribbon Snake.

Beautiful place and photos! I love all those flowering Utricularia. Are U. purpurea and U. cornuta difficult in cultivation? I can't recall ever seeing anyone growing those.

Beautiful place and photos! I love all those flowering Utricularia. Are U. purpurea and U. cornuta difficult in cultivation? I can't recall ever seeing anyone growing those.

I personally think Utricularia purpurea is difficult to maintain, but it isn't that hard to acquire. Utricularia cornuta is a bit more rare but there are definitely people growing it.

That snake is actually Thamnophis sauritus, a Ribbon Snake.

Really now. I'll correct that one too. I'm glad you went back and looked, I added that one afterwards. I didn't get a great look at it, immediately after the picture he disappeared, I'm glad you looked closer than me.

I haven't grown either myself yet. I assume U. purpurea would appreciate similar conditions to Aldrovanda. The recent thread seems like a good guide. Although I use a larger container than a 5 gallon bucket. Especially for U. purpurea, we found some strands that were nearly as tall as me.

We only found a couple small patches of U. cornuta, it is tough to notice if it's not flowering. They were all very silty, sandy though, it was always a bit more towards the water line of the ponds than most of the Drosera. I haven't seen it in any other locations so maybe someone else can comment. I don't know if Johnny has found it elsewhere in New England?

Last edited:
double post

Last edited:
I revisited one of these sites back in mid to early August. Just a few pics I took, mostly non-carnivorous.

Sabatia kennedyana:

Pontederia cordata:

D. intermedia:

Last edited:
Initially I read the update too quickly and thought the Sagittaria was lightly dusted in frost/snow, but upon further inspection you must just have a nice camera and caught all the little hairs & fibers on the plant. Awesome!

I use a canon 50D with a 18-55mm lens. DSLR, but nothing crazy as far as I know, but it takes a good picture if I can get the focus right. I think they are some hairs on the plant as well as some moisture, the flower stalk does shoot right up outta the water.

Great shots Greg, love seeing the Sabatia in bloom. The plant you have labeled as a Sagittaria is Pontederia cordata, Pickerelweed.

Interesting, I was always led to believe all those arrowhead shaped marginals were Sagittaria. Looking at pictures now I can see some differences though. Good to know.

Back