What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet my newest interlopers

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
IMG_9127_zpsevfjanjv.jpg

I've decided that part of the yard can continue to stay neglected until the dead of a deep and frozen winter. Just the kind i didn't want this year.

Sweet-looking nest, though. Recall seeing one with an outer section carefully cut away (inhabitants were no longer using it). Very cool to see the internal structure.

Sweet-looking nest, though. Recall seeing one with an outer section carefully cut away (inhabitants were no longer using it). Very cool to see the internal structure.
come on and get it, it's yours for free

What kind of wasps are those??
I see one that looks just like that frequenting my fruit compost..

Some kind of paper wasp, I'm no entomologist so I can't tell the exact species.

ffb8cb742ecd9c25d392f29eb776189d1662b15bea4cc3e21444a4bf393186ce.jpg

Last edited:
I believe they are bald-faced hornets (Dolichovespula maculata), a very aggressive species and it has a very painful sting.

Last edited:
A can of Raid at night will solve your problem.

Those do look like bald faced hornets ._.
I'd be extremely careful of those as they are verrrryyyy aggressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you bag the nest and through it in the freezer you'll get a nest full of 100% dead hornets!

One of our friends did that… the nests are really cool!

Definitely looks like bald faced hornets. I would take care of the problem, spray the nest, they are no fun.

If you bag the nest and through it in the freezer you'll get a nest full of 100% dead hornets!

I would happily spray the nest at night, but I think I'd let you remove and bag it if freezing is going to be the method of execution!

Wow. Time to destroy it. get some super hornet spray, the kind that shoots twenty five feet. Just definitely do it at night.

I see no reason to kill them or destroy their home untill they start war, as I love to watch their
Nest buidling and watch how they work.
My yard is filled with yellow jackets every year, (average of 3-4 nests) and
They never really bother anyone, but ive never had bald faces.

The guys pictured below are some sort of semi agressive wasp that love nesting
In my porch light. Last year they would divebomb at your face if you got too close,
But this year its almost like theyre not even there. Secretly hiding

3zKme2e.jpg

Judy,
There are companies that will come to your home and collect and remove those fellas for you, free of charge. They collect wasps and hornets for their venom which gets used for a variety of purposes, inuding important medical applications.
You should find out who does this in your area. It's a win-win proposal.

Last edited:
Is it a win for the hornets too?

Back