What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP sites in the Green Swamp Preserve

Hey all, I'm going to Holden beach for a week this Sunday, and it's only about twenty minutes (14 miles) from the Green Swamp Preserve. I'd like to ask for any good trails you know to hike that have a good chance of CP sightings. I'm also going up to Wilmington for a while when I'm there, and I plan to visit the Rheder garden and any other sites/roads/trails/nurseries you suggest.

Thanks!

The main entrance is right on Rt. 211. There is a large sign at the entrance but it's still fairly easy to drive by if you're not paying attention. There are many nice plants that can be seen there. The pond in the parking lot is full of D.intermedia and several species of Utricularia. Beyond the pond you'll find D.capillaris and a few Dionaea, S.rubra rubra and S.flava. At the back right side corner of the field beyond the parking area you'll find a small boardwalk. This will lead into a series of open longleaf pine savannah habitats. This is where the majority of plants can be found in this particular area. There are many Dionaea, D.capillaris, S.flava, S.rubra rubra, S.purpurea venosa as well as several natural Sarracenia hybrids, orchids and other unique plants.

Good luck and take lots of photos. I haven't been out there in a few years, I'm very interested in seeing how the area is doing.

Last edited:
Contact Ozzy here on TerraForums. If he isn't busy he can perhaps take you on a personal tour.

Thanks to both of you! Will do.

Back