What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best RO Units?

I am looking into buying an RO unit. Are Liquagen RO products good? What price range should I look into for a decent unit? What brands do you suggest?

Thanks!

not enough info to answer...

permanent or temporary installation?

do you want water on demand?

How much usage?

What kind of usage?

etc....

bottom end -$100ish
top end - $200+

I do not need a lot of water. 10-80 GPD would be find for my uses. I mainly want to use it for the plants, I may use it for drinking water on occasion as well. I would prefer to have ~95%+ efficiency in the unit. I would prefer the unit to be portable enough to be put away once in awhile.

By water on demand, I am guessing you are meaning if I want a high output unit? I just need enough for my small collection and to be able to fill a few jugs of water for later use. I do not expect the unit to put out 50+ gallons in one hour or anything, not too picky on the speed. I am mainly concerned with the cost, efficiency, and portability of whatever I end up buying.

if you want to open a valve and get out a gallon or two without waiting, or supply an ice maker etc then you will want a system with a bladder/captive air tank.
If that is the case, to get the efficiency you want, it will need to include a permeate pump.

if that is the case, it will not be portable

if the on demand is not an issue, you can use an aquarium style setup, where you open a valve and fill up a bucket or some type of reservoir

captive air tank with permeate pump.... 200-250ish
aquarium version with no tank or PP...... 125-150ish

I would get a 100gpd either way, usually cheaper down the road since they are the most popular membrane size

Av8tor, just curious if have you ever checked out the quality and price of the systems at bulk reef supply? They don't do refurbished systems, and the sale they were having is over now, but it seems off sale BRS has better prices for the product than spectrapure. Thanks for your input :)

The system you quoted above as new: http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/MaxPureMPDI-90-GPD-RODI-System
Similar system from BRS: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd-1.html

I have a 5-stage 75GPD BRS unit. I haven't seen the exact build that I got on their site recently so I can't post a link. They do seem to change things up sometimes. They used to have a build your own system option where you could customize everything from the ground up, they would also assist in getting all the correct components and everything. I like them in part specifically because their service is so great. I got quick and helpful answers to all of my questions. And their units do have some great features like the inline TDS and flush kit. The fittings for the tubing are also headache free which is nice.

I think I paid somewhere around $170

Andrew,

They look like another great option that I was not familiar with.
At 199 I think its a little high but I see nothing wrong with either choice

:)

Bulk reef supply is GREAT! Awesome units and they stand behind their gear. Also one of the fastest shipping companies I've dealt with.

Spectrapure or Bulk Reef Supply. Just make sure you get one with a TDS meter so you can ensure your filters are still performing properly. I like the models that come with the dual inline TDS meters. You can definitely get away with something under $200. I've been using a spectrapure hooked up in the garage with a water line run to the water hose spigot, and the product line goes into a 35 gallon brute trash can as well as a few extra buckets. I will run it all day once a week or so. Waste water goes out to the grass.

To be honest, I stopped using my DI stage years ago....
0.00ppm water is neither natural nor desirable IMHO, I prefer to have about 20-30ppm

Thanks for all of the help, Av8tor1! I went with the SpectraPure 90 GPD unit. Now all I need is a faucet adapter. Are there any particular brands or things I should look out for on those? It comes with a garden hose adapter, which is fine for now, but I would prefer to be able to hook it up to an indoor faucet.

no first hand experience with RO faucet adapters...
but based on experiences with aquarium siphon faucet adapters..

avoid plastic and get one that can stay in place.
Id probably look on ebay for options

maybe someone who uses one can chime in

Last edited:
I use a faucet adapter that came with my unit from BRS. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/chrome-faucet-diverter-valve.html
It works great, no leaks, and has a diverter valve so you can leave it in place if you'd like. I remove mine after use because the tubing can get in the way. I may be wrong but if yours already comes with a garden hose adapter you should be able to get a converter fitting from Home Depot or something. Just keep in mind the more points where you are making a connection, the more chances of it getting leaky somewhere.

This probably isn't the right size but it should be something similar to this: https://jet.com/product/1bf2c55d9e9...30a16bcb0d8d&gclid=CICp45vNwccCFQsRHwoduvcICQ

Back