What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here, Be Dragons!

Among other things, I am an artist, and in addition to the carnivorous plant sketches (in a separate thread here), this is my other main focus: dragons! Many of them are based off images I have found, but a handful are more or less my own creation or rendition.
I'll post one at a time, every day that I can. What do you think?
This first one was without any picture reference, my own rendition of a well known dragon species.
Alagaesian Dragon by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

That looks like the Dragon from the hobbit movie :) really nice work hun

Not quite. Smaug had no front legs, or feathers. That was based off the dragons of Eragon.

Another feathered species.
Ampithere by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Amphithere? I'm pretty dragon obsessed, too. On that note, I just finished one of a pair of dragon tattoos.

Well that shows u how good i am at dragons lol
I just thought the head kinda looked like him but then again what do i kno lol

They look good, but remember that Paolini's dragons did not have feathers. Saphira had beautiful deep sapphire-blue scales that were well polished, as you'll remember from the books, but nothing was ever said of feathers. You are basing that dragon off the movie, though, I believe. Just wanted to throw out a reminder that in the original works, the dragons did not have feathers.

And Smaug was NOT black, KATastrophe. In the original works, he was red-golden. "There he lay, a vast, red-golden dragon, fast asleep; A thrumming came from his jaws and nostrils, and wisps of smoke, but his fires were low in slumber." ~ Chapter XII of The Hobbit. As you can see, this is stated explicitly, but Peter Jackson apparently decided red wasn't "evil" enough for Smaug.

Hawken, you are a good artist. The books of Tolkein and Paolini are my favorite fantasy works, and so I have read them in great depth and it hurts my head to see things that are described one way to be rendered another way in a movie. That's the only reason I'm correcting this.

Last edited:
Never read the books; note I did not specify which "Eragon." I've only ever seen the movie, and like that dragon a lot. And I am a major HTTYD fan, despite the fact that the books are an entirely different story from the movie (I like the latter better anyway, but I've read all the books so far), so why people get so mad about movies being different from books doesn't ring with me; I take both as separate tales, always.

Anyway, back to the point, the next dragon: another done without an image reference, my own rendering
Asiatic Lung Dragon by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Also, a bonus sketch. This is the only one I've ever done involving an animal with fur, that actually turned out, and as a bonus it was with color! Those of you who have seen the Croods, he's based off the Macawnivore, but with slightly different proportions.
Feren by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Never read the books; note I did not specify which "Eragon." I've only ever seen the movie, and like that dragon a lot. And I am a major HTTYD fan, despite the fact that the books are an entirely different story from the movie (I like the latter better anyway, but I've read all the books so far), so why people get so mad about movies being different from books doesn't ring with me; I take both as separate tales, always.

Yep. I also read HTTYD a couple years ago, watched the movies, and enjoyed each. When you look at the movies as separate from the books, some of them are very good.

Until recently, this was probably the most detailed sketch I had done. Fitting, considering the status of the species.
Bewilderbeast by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

I read eragon, adored the books, but the movie departed from it in several ways I couldn't enjoy.

I watched httyd, before reading it, and as a result did not care overmuch for the books.

Ever read any Anne McCaffrey?

Katya i dont kno what these drawing look like other then Hcarltons drawings and his drawing is black and white a pencil drawing... I dont kno what the dragon is supposed to be color wise lol, i just remarked that the dragons face kinda looked like him to me....but then again im not a dragon expert lol lol lol lol...... I dont think i ever even mentioned colors anyways, the dragon could be purple i wouldnt kno cause the picture is drawn in pencil.. lol to tell u the truth i dont even think i knew what color smaug was until u just told me i didnt like the hobit books or the movies much... But i do dig orlando bloom dressed up as the elf 'legolas, or how ever its spelled'....yumMmMmMmy! And thats prob the only reason they got my money from tickets. Lol!

Plus i really dont like when books and comic books are changed when they make movies so i avoid them and just stick with the books/comics if their in my intrest

Last edited:
Though my favorite dragon is Trogdor... Or how ever its spelled u should draw him

I love dragons. My family knows my love of dragons and so they bought me this as a birthday gift. Kinda pricey but if you have a wood stove you'll know this is very much a necessity. Excited to use it this winter.

Dragon Woodstove Steamer | Gifts $50 - $75

Dragoness: Never heard of Anne McCaffrey. I do, however, understand the HTTYD phenomenon. I read the books second as well, and while I like them I will always like the movies better.
KATastrophe: the actual point of the sketches here, besides the fact that I like them, is that many are either featured in HTTYD or my spinoff story based off that tale. So, I tend to be selective about what dragons are actually sketched out.
Radagast: Very cute :)

New dragon, and another reference to the HTTYD base....
Boneknapper by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Lol it was a joke hcarlton hehee! But that skit reminded me of your drawings cause strongsad made an awsome sketch (like yours) and strongbad made trogdor lol (prob the best many of us could do)

Back