What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having fun with magpies

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I've been practicing for a project, putting a magpie on the head of my banjo. I traced this guy onto tracing paper and filled them in. The colored one was an idea, and while very pretty, it just doesn't have that banjo vibe I was looking for. The realistic one is best, I think, from far away it almost looks like the photographed I traced it off of. I drew that with a combination of illustrating pens, with India ink, and brush-tipped markers by Prismacolor. I'll be trying one more with only the markers, and see how the shading goes.

I'll be sure to share the finished banjo when it's done, whenever that is.

Definitely like the last one, especially the feather details.

You guys are giving me the itch to draw again. I need to bust out the sketchpad and pencil.

Both look great hun but i too like the black one :)

I like both as well, but for an instrument I would prefer the second one.

Last edited:
very nice nailed it on the eyes

Last edited:
Awww, thanks guys. :boogie:

Yes, I'm going to do the second one. I'll be trying a third version later, using only the felt markers, to see what happens.

The banjo is coming along well, also. I have all the bracket holes drilled, and the dowel stick fitted in it's hole. Right now I'm re shaping the neck to sit FLUSH against the rim, for better sound. Between work, Boy Scouts stuff, and this, I've been busy, busy, busy!

how 'bout some updates? The banjo has been put together, tested, and taken apart for improvements. I didn't like the sound of the cheap skin head I put on it, so for now I have a Mylar head on. I need to draw the magpie yet again. I wonder how it'll do on the textured top, it's like a very fine sandpaper. The photos below are various bits, including the skin head (now resting in front of my lamp), and the heel cap and peghead inlay I'm installing. Varnish time now.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, you're not seeing things. it is a 6 string. Uncommon, and harder to play than you'd think. I thought that because it's standard guitar tuning it'd be a piece of cake, but that's not the case. Most slurs and bends don't work, gotta play it like a banjo. Buuuut, there's no drone string, so that's out. Hah! It's fun anyways, with more bass than normal.

Back