What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown pest

There are tiny pests about 1mm long circular, black, and shiny on my pinguicula. Anyone know what they are? So far no damage is observed, but I don't want to see any either. Pics coming soon.

Yep pics would be really helpful, what substrate do you have it potted in, I've had a similar sounding bug as yours, only ever seen them when using live sphag and never observed any damage done by them.

Mark

Fungus gnats that your ping is snacking on?

Last edited:
Springtails and fungus gnats are the two most common things that I find in my pings. Pics help though.

Black, round, and shiny makes me think of the soil-mites that popped up in my terrestrial utrics and spread to a few other pots, including pings, where I found them stuck to the leaves. In my case, I didn't notice any detrimental effects from them.

Springtails and fungus gnats are the two most common things that I find in my pings. Pics help though.
I know what fungus gnats and springtails are, it wasn't either. I think it's some sort of beetle but I am not sure. Here are pics:
a>

Those appear to be small beetles of some kind. I think it's safe to remove them from the "pest" category and stick them on the dinner menu.

Those appear to be small beetles of some kind. I think it's safe to remove them from the "pest" category and stick them on the dinner menu.

I wish. I too thought they were free food until I came back and they were gone. Again no damage was observed but they obviously managed to escape. Maybe they are "pests" after all but after being soaked in acid they decided to go elsewhere.

Bump. Checked on my pings again and they were back. They obviously have to eat something to stay alive, and what worries me is that they are eating my plants. As long as they do no harm I am fine with them. Again no damage observed but they were all sitting on the leaves. When touched they move very slowly and they don't seem to be affected by the digestive goo.

Maybe they are eating the digested gnats on the leaves of ur pings..(??) not too sure but just a suggestion as to what they could be doing and what would keep them coming back for more! Hope they aren't harmful. Keep us in the loop im sure someone Will have some advice on these 'pest' things. Goodluck

Back