What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month October 2015

Vote for the top 3 best!!!

• SFLguy - Sarracenia purpurea sbsp purpurea

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Maiden - Heliamphora minor 'burgundy-black'

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • chibae - Phalaenopsis tremolo

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Sashoke - Nepenthes spathulata x robcantleyi

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Tacks - Byblis liniflora

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • katya_dog1 - Dioneae muscipula 'Jaws'

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) Plant per member may be entered in any particular month. This means one Nep vine, one Sarr Rhizome, one pygmy dew etc.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 10/31/15
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher, unfurling of a leaf etc. are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher/plant/whatnot cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher/plant/whatnot entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo, or sprouted from seed by the owner.
9. I didn't like this rule. You can keep entering the same thing month after month and if people still like it without getting sick of it, so be it.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 11/01/15, closing 11/05/15 and using this forum in this thread! Voting will appear at the top of the thread at the close of the contest entries.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on October 31st 2015 at 5:00PM EST

Good Luck!

ed7d9348d4f652ec1bd1f4a958074977.jpg

Maybe not the best shot, but I love the tubby little pitchers of this purp purp from Massachusetts :)

Heliamphora minor 'burgundy-black'

21977908545_73e0065384_k.jpg

22104889658_472ab44f2a_k.jpg
21669848984_3533c77251_k.jpg
22104550420_4286ee3590_k.jpg

Last edited:
Phal tremolo

tren.jpg

Nepenthes spathulata x robcantleyi, pitcher is 10 inches tall, peristome is 5 inches wide. Ill post another picture when the peristome finishes coloring up:

cNP3GbA.jpg

a0oER2u.jpg

That's deff gonna be a pain to get that pitcher through the grates of your shelf one day if u have to move it lol!

Nepenthes spathulata x robcantleyi, pitcher is 10 inches tall, peristome is 5 inches wide. Ill post another picture when the peristome finishes coloring up:

Brian is getting tin snips for Xmas! LOL

Byblis liniflora

That's beautiful!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

They're all beautiful........ Makes me look at my plants with pity :)

How does one grow rainbow plants? What about other Drosophylum plants like Dewy Pine and Rurigula?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I grow my B. liniflora in the exact same conditions as my subtropical sundews. Mix is peat:sand, probably with a bit of extra pumice thrown in. I keep water in the tray most of the time (it sometimes dries up before I refill it), and it's under pretty intense fluorescent lighting. They've been really fun to grow.

Wait, some people say that kin flora is and annual, while others say it can be a perrienial. which is it for you?

B. liniflora is technically an annual, but under artificial conditions can persist for longer, especially if flowers are cut or if stem cuttings are taken to promote branching...

I still haven't gotten seed from it though, it's been through 5 or 6 flowers so far. Sort of surprised.

My entry: Jaws. Artificial dormancy, Maxsea, and the occasional Cranefly. Cranefly was caught yesterday when I took the picture, and was still alive this morning. So I tried to get him out.

a3m340.png

Unfortunately, Craneflies have small waists. So, he died a horrible death of being ripped in half. Ah well.

Last edited:
Thank you! VFTs are my bread and butter; so easy and fast growing, yet so rewarding.

Katya as a VFT lover i'm happy to see one entered and a beautiful one at that :) great job ...unfortunate for the crane fly..BUT thats usually how it goes lol

Back