What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would ask why does one's rep as a grower matter more than one's shoe size in this particular situation?

Because OP and kat are implying that if you have no rep/skill as a grower you shouldnt buy plants.

Anyways, For all you know these people may be buying the plants just to kill them!
who are you to tell these people what to do with their money??-?

Last edited:
Because OP and kat are implying that if you have no rep/skill as a grower you shouldnt buy plants.

Anyways, For all you know these people may be buying the plants just to kill them!

I'm not telling anybody what to do with their money, however if you sold a rare plant you had been keeping for many years would you want it to go to a good or bad grower?

For all of you asking how I can judge them based not he fact that I know nothing about them..I am not. lol! I am clearly stating that one of the biggest flaws with ebay is that anyone can buy your rare plant. The buyer could be the most renowned grower, or someone with absolutely no experience-I have no idea!

I'm frustrated because renowned growers don't sell their plants on a more niche website than ebay, this would therefore limit buyers to people who have some growing experience.

As for why people bid before the last day-minute, I have no idea. Do you think you're staking your land or something? haha cause you're just making it worse for yourself in terms of cost… the only reason auctions stay up for prolonged periods of time is so people can see them before they end.

Last edited:
For all of you asking how I can judge them based not he fact that I know nothing about them..I am not.

You're not judging/questioning the growing skills of the alleged buyer?! What does this mean, then?:

"The fact that someone with an unknown grower reputation can just go in and immediately buy plants like these is ludicrous… Thats why forums like this exist, so you can get the plant you want to sell to a known grower for a reasonable price."

In this context, "a known grower" would indicate that you are judging the skill set of the grower bidding on the plant, and questioning their worthiness to own such a regal offering! You are expecting the merchant to make that same judgement! That's not how business works.

Interpretation: "Vendors should sell their plants to me, here on the forums, for a reasonable price, not on some blankedy-blank auction site where people with more money than me can buy them!"
What makes you think the buyer(s) who bid outrageous sums on Nepenthes offered on fleabay aren't members of the forum communities? I would say that the bidders are almost guaranteed to be members of this community. So, how would listing rare/valuable plants here help weed out less skilled/less deserving growers?

I'm frustrated because renowned growers don't sell their plants on a more niche website than ebay, this would therefore limit buyers to people who have some growing experience.

Interpretation: "I'm sore because the merchant has chosen to list the plants on an auction site that assures them of getting the best possible price for extremely rare offerings - and I can't afford to compete with growers who have deeper pockets than me!"

Its worth noting that there is an error in this logic if you think the merchant is going to sell only to the most skilled growers if he were to list the plant(s) on Terraforums, for example. Because the fact is that TF is often the first community/forum novice growers join when taking their first steps in this hobby. It doesn't take a whole lot of close examination to realize there are many new growers participating in the TF community, and it is here that they learn and acquire horticulture skills. So - if anything - a vendor listing expensive/rare/valuable plants here would in fact be less likely to get those plants into the hands of the more skilled growers.

Last edited:
^Haha Whimgrinder you're getting so worked up over nothing.

I'll put it in a simple format so you can understand my argument easier:

A) I only want 1 plant on eBay at the moment, not multiple ones like you've stated.

B) I have the money to compete with this seller, if I wished to. (something you shouldn't be calling people out for)

C) Sellers can list a plant here on TF for ANY price they want (you're making it sound like they can't)

D) In no way, shape, or form can you prove the majority of bidders are members here, so don't make that claim.

E) I didn't say anywhere the seller should sell to "only to the most skilled growers", you did.

F) New members in the community here are still a safer bet than randy eBay buyers.

I suggest you buy some sort of filter, air or maybe water could work. They just need to fit on your mouth pretty tight. Before you comment again make sure your argument isn't contradicting itself with fake quotes, and try not to let your emotions get the better of you again.

Also I find your "interpretations" to be extremely immature

A) I only want 1 plant on eBay at the moment, not multiple ones like you've stated.

B) I have the money to compete with this seller, if I wished to. (something you shouldn't be calling people out for)

E) I didn't say anywhere the seller should sell to "only to the most skilled growers", you did.
So why create this thread? Reading through it, I have to admit that it sounds a little whiney. I get the frustration, but that's how business and the world work.

IMO a person whining about not being able to afford what they want is much less mature than the person who laughs at them.

^Haha Whimgrinder you're getting so worked up over nothing.

So go buy that clone directly from Wistuba and quit moaning already! You can get it from Andreas for 1/3 the price.

I'm not telling anybody what to do with their money, however if you sold a rare plant you had been keeping for many years would you want it to go to a good or bad grower?
You're not telling anyone what to do with their money, but you seem to have a problem with what other people do with plants you're interested in. You're still sticking your nose where it has no business.

I would if wistuba offered the plant I'm interested in… sorry

You're not telling anyone what to do with their money, but you seem to have a problem with what other people do with plants you're interested in. You're still sticking your nose where it has no business.

Exactly. He doesn't seem to comprehend how judgmental his remarks are.

I have a great idea! Instead of simply pointing out "problems" with eBay, and then complaining about the comments of others, why don't you make a post listing your solutions to the "problems"?

Well of course, but then you shouldnt be selling it on ebay! LOL

People sell on ebay to fetch high prices. This is exactly what ebay was designed to do.
IT also lets anybody around the world see the auction, so anybody can buy it. These people are selling
for either pure profit, or to spread plants.

True growers who want their trophy plants preserved will sell on forums, or give
away to trusted growers. But it just so happens, this very forum is one of the last few
places on the web that has actual active members, so its rather difficult to even
give the plants away to the RIGHT people in the first place!

That being said however, everybody deserves a chance with a couple rare plants.
Everybody told me to start with beginner plants and work my way up to Hamatas.
(Keep in mind im still learning) However after buying many beginner plants and getting tired
of slow growth I bought a hamata in spite, (not from ebay) and it today is still the fastest and most vigorous
specimen in my collection! Give the light weight growers a chance too.

--But the question is, How far are you willing to chase the mad bidder down the rabbit hole for your prize?

People sell on ebay to fetch high prices. This is exactly what ebay was designed to do.
IT also lets anybody around the world see the auction, so anybody can buy it. These people are selling

True growers who want their trophy plants preserved will sell on forums, or give
away to trusted growers. But it just so happens, this very forum is one of the last few
places on the web that has actual active members, so its rather difficult to even

(Keep in mind im still learning) However after buying many beginner plants and getting tired
of slow growth I bought a hamata in spite, (not from ebay) and it today is still the fastest and most vigorous

--But the question is, How far are you willing to chase the mad bidder down the rabbit hole for your prize?

Great points! I'm glad you decided to get the hamata! as for the plant I'm chasing-$1000 into the ground ;)
I myself am a small grower, but I wouldn't necessarily relate small to inexperienced.

With respects to William Munny, deserve has got nuthin' to do with it. Obtaining these plants on eBay requires cash. To be more specific, disposable cash. Would you say everybody deserves disposable cash? Think before you answer, because everybody means EVERYBODY whether they want to earn it or not. It still comes down to having first earned the money.

With respects to William Munny, deserve has got nuthin' to do with it. Obtaining these plants on eBay requires cash. To be more specific, disposable cash. Would you say everybody deserves disposable cash? Think before you answer, because everybody means EVERYBODY whether they want to earn it or not. It still comes down to having first earned the money.

Well this is true, but I dont think having more money than the other guy makes you deserve it more!
All im saying is that prices shouldnt get astronomically high. However on ebay, thats the name of the game.

D) In no way, shape, or form can you prove the majority of bidders are members here, so don't make that claim.

The community is not as big as you might think it is

Last edited:
To who said: I would ask why does one's rep as a grower matter more than one's shoe size in this particular situation?

And: Because OP and kat are implying that if you have no rep/skill as a grower you shouldnt buy plants.

-----------------

I think u were misunderstanding my question based on what the OP stated in his original Post.
Not that i think a reputation to grow these plants should really matter cause many growers keep to themselves and dont post on forums to have a reputation to prove their growing and care skills but that doesn't mean they don't have the expirience and skills to do so. I was simply asking how the op could jump to the conclusion that the person they are talking about doesn't have a reputation to skillfully grow such plants and how they could assume that even without a reputation that they couldn't skillfully grow the plants their bidding on - without knowing who the person their talking about is.

I think if tge person has the money and wants the plant and can care for the plant then they should get the plant. Regardless if i think the price is ridiculous that's not my place to judge. If they have the money and are willing to spend it then so be it. As long as they aren't doing something malicious to win these bids unfairly (which I've seen happen) then i don't think the person should be getting picked apart over things they want to purchase with their own money.

What is the plant you are looking for, since u said your not looking for all their bidding on which is the one your personally looking for maybe someone on here has a better, cheaper And reliable source to get it from and avoid this thread becoming a bunch of craziness.

Well this is true, but I dont think having more money than the other guy makes you deserve it more!
All im saying is that prices shouldnt get astronomically high. However on ebay, thats the name of the game.

My point is that nobody deserves to buy these plants. The word deserve is badly misused in applying it to this situation.

Last edited:
To who said: I would ask why does one's rep as a grower matter more than one's shoe size in this particular situation?

And: Because OP and kat are implying that if you have no rep/skill as a grower you shouldnt buy plants.

-----------------

I think u were misunderstanding my question based on what the OP stated in his original Post.
Not that i think a reputation to grow these plants should really matter cause many growers keep to themselves and dont post on forums to have a reputation to prove their growing and care skills but that doesn't mean they don't have the expirience and skills to do so. I was simply asking how the op could jump to the conclusion that the person they are talking about doesn't have a reputation to skillfully grow such plants and how they could assume that even without a reputation that they couldn't skillfully grow the plants their bidding on - without knowing who the person their talking about is.

I think if tge person has the money and wants the plant and can care for the plant then they should get the plant. Regardless if i think the price is ridiculous that's not my place to judge. If they have the money and are willing to spend it then so be it. As long as they aren't doing something malicious to win these bids unfairly (which I've seen happen) then i don't think the person should be getting picked apart over things they want to purchase with their own money.

What is the plant you are looking for, since u said your not looking for all their bidding on which is the one your personally looking for maybe someone on here has a better, cheaper And reliable source to get it from and avoid this thread becoming a bunch of craziness.

You don't get it. Ability has no bearing on who should get a plant which is auctioned on eBay. If a person with lots of money wants the plant, he/she will likely get it, regardless of their growing ability.

Back