What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Satanas, have you ever considered moving to a communist state? Maybe China? It seems like your main issue is with capitalism.

Last edited:
Honestly I have been laughing pretty hard at both the OP and everyone else who took him seriously enough to respond.

Satanas, have you ever considered moving to a communist state? Maybe China? It seems like your main issue is with capitalism.

mm China does not appeal to me…something about being hit by a car, and then backed over again isn't something that I find interest in. North Korea however seems to be promising! ;)

Honestly I have been laughing pretty hard at both the OP and everyone else who took him seriously enough to respond.

Nice to know you can laugh at yourself!

Ebay can be a vicious mistress sometimes. . . you want a plant, but somebody else wanted it more. It's the name of the game.

But as has been stated, it really is just the fundamentals of capitalism which create the dischordant notes between others. It is up to each of us to try and deal accordingly with those notes however we may.

IMO, starting a thread on TF about it isn't the worst choice. For this particular case, it could almost be considered the most obvious choice.

Which then leads me to wonder why it had to get so contentious and I can't help but notice that yet again it was because some members feel that a festidiously constructed arrangement of pretentious psycho-babble is the best way to invite newer members into the forum.

yawwwnn:tumbleweed:

I'm gonna go check ebay

Last edited:
*comments withdrawn*

Last edited:
I perfectly understand the OP's frustration.

As to the theorizing about if this buyer has growing experience I have to say, why is he buying so many rare nepenthes at once? If he was a good grower he should already own a few with which to practice. It's not a perfect theory but I'm putting it out there.

There has to be a reason he chose this moment in time to blow several thousand dollars but whatever it is I can't figure it out.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I have to say, why is he buying so many rare nepenthes at once?
There has to be a reason he chose this moment in time to blow several thousand dollars but whatever it is I can't figure it out.

Ummmm.....because he can? Four years ago, when I build my wood-and-glass greenhouse, I bought whatever plants I could find to fill it up. I spent a lot of money doing so - because I could afford to. Why is that eBay scenario such a mystery??

because he can

This is the only thing that needs to be read in this entire thread. I'll add a little more, though.

It's HIS money; who is anyone to tell that bidder what he can and can't bid on? When Phil Faulisi sold S. x Saurus for the incredible sum of 1,025 USD, (probably more than was ever spent for a single plant in this genus in history) there was discussion in a blog about how "The person who bought the plant probably contributes to conservation if he spends so much money on one plant."

Who cares? It doesn't matter if the person contributes to conservation or doesn't give a damn about it; it's his own money to spend however he likes. He earned it himself through his own sweat and blood. The US is not a communist nation.

It makes me very worried to see people who live here basically saying that they think that's the way things should be. How would YOU like it if someone said that you couldn't pay more money than another person to get a plant you really wanted? And the logical conclusion to this is: The road goes two ways. I don't know how much you spend on plants, and I don't care as long as it's your own money, but imagine if there was a nepenthes you wanted that was going to go up to 300 USD on Ebay. You can pay that. You can get the plant. But the bidder below you goes to Ebay and says "Hey, it's not fair that he gets that plant because he works more than me and earned more money! I want it for 200 dollars!"

Ebay gives it to him. How do you feel?

Last edited:
I have to say I don't see a problem. When I decided months ago I wanted to get back into neps after losing my collection in 09 eBay was the first place I went. I pretty much did what whim and the OP's opposition did. Payed whatever it took to get the plants I wanted in the time frame I wanted. Sure I could have spread out the purchases over a longer time but I can't read the future and who's to say that plant in the quality perceived would be available in the future.

To the original poster. often times when you see these plants sell for these high prices, then you'll see someone else list the same plant hoping to cash in on the idea that its worth that much now. Which is often a mistake, it was only worth that much to the person who payed it. And in this instance you can now get the plant you wanted at a somewhat lesser price. This is assuming that person who payed a lot in the first place don't want multiples. That of which I'm guilty. I find I need multiples of species from difference origins...

You don't get it. Ability has no bearing on who should get a plant which is auctioned on eBay. If a person with lots of money wants the plant, he/she will likely get it, regardless of their growing ability.

I get it, like i said "I think if tge person has the money and wants the plant and can care for the plant then they should get the plant. Regardless if i think the price is ridiculous that's not my place to judge. If they have the money and are willing to spend it then so be it. As long as they aren't doing something malicious to win these bids unfairly (which I've seen happen) then i don't think the person should be getting picked apart over things they want to purchase with their own money."

But reguardless its none of my buisness what tgey do with their purchase...if they wanna blow that much money on a plant and throw it into a wood chipper thats their buisness..not mine and certainly not anyone elses.

I was simple ASKING the OP a question about a remark he madthing but the buyer in question without knowing anything about this Person or who they even are - let alone their ability to grow a blade a grass, i wasnt stating that it mattered when buying the plant ir bidding on anything in general on eBay.. I was asking HOW they knew the Person DIDNT have any ability to grow this plant to say such a thing, Despite not knowing who they actually are as a person let alone a grower.

I didn't say it mattered what their growing skills are to purchase the plant cause on eBay it doesn't matter.

SO to sum up the entire thread:
He is doing ti because he can, Its ebay, and thats the name of the game.

Long story short : You play the game and fight the other psychos that joined in, or you dont. (Which means no plants for you!)
Simple as that.

However, Sometimes I enjoy when people bid the plants up. Large prices off the bat ward away the smaller scavengers.
The longer people have time to sit and think about buying something while its cheap, the more they may be inclined to
bid higher and farther on auction day. Thats also another part of ebays evil ways.
So sometimes Ill just bid on the higher item because less people are fighting for it in the end.

Break out the sniper rifles kiddies.:shark:

I get it, like i said "I think if tge person has the money and wants the plant and can care for the plant then they should get the plant. Regardless if i think the price is ridiculous that's not my place to judge. If they have the money and are willing to spend it then so be it. As long as they aren't doing something malicious to win these bids unfairly (which I've seen happen) then i don't think the person should be getting picked apart over things they want to purchase with their own money."

But reguardless its none of my buisness what tgey do with their purchase...if they wanna blow that much money on a plant and throw it into a wood chipper thats their buisness..not mine and certainly not anyone elses.

I was simple ASKING the OP a question about a remark he madthing but the buyer in question without knowing anything about this Person or who they even are - let alone their ability to grow a blade a grass, i wasnt stating that it mattered when buying the plant ir bidding on anything in general on eBay.. I was asking HOW they knew the Person DIDNT have any ability to grow this plant to say such a thing, Despite not knowing who they actually are as a person let alone a grower.

I didn't say it mattered what their growing skills are to purchase the plant cause on eBay it doesn't matter.

Please explain what malicious things people do to win eBay auctions.

I have personally been attacked once on eBay. I was breeding a rare species of beetles at the time, and someone really wanted them alive. I however knew the person had a bad reputation as a breeder and dismissed his offer on another site. When I listed a dried specimen on eBay he must have seen and created a new account. When He won the auction (obviously) at $1024, he then deactivated his account. Luckily I listed the specimen again and it sold to a reputable collector the second time.

I have also seen people make separate accounts from their real one, and drive the price of bids up.

I have personally been attacked once on eBay. I was breeding a rare species of beetles at the time, and someone really wanted them alive. I however knew the person had a bad reputation as a breeder and dismissed his offer on another site. When I listed a dried specimen on eBay he must have seen and created a new account. When He won the auction (obviously) at $1024, he then deactivated his account. Luckily I listed the specimen again and it sold to a reputable collector the second time.

I have also seen people make separate accounts from their real one, and drive the price of bids up.

You misunderstood my question. We're discussing people who run up auctions into the stratosphere to actually get what they're bidding on. I understand sellers running up the bids on their own stuff, or someone who really doesn't want what they're bidding on and reneges. What I want to know are the devious things done by people who bid high and pay for what they bid on.

I work at a local nepenthes nursery and have noticed that we have a few customers who have dropped several thousand dollars on a single order. I do know who they are and their experience with Nepenthes but I obviously cannot release that info. However, there are definitely people out there spending thousands on Nepenthes plants left and right.

also who's to say the people that can spend the big bux also haven't spent the big bux to create an appropriate grow area. So I guess you can't really judge either way. I know personally if I spend 500 bus on a plant I want it to live weather or not I can just buy another if it dies....

Back