What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thermogenic Plants

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
I feel so uneducated now. Am I the last person to learn about thermogenic plants? It took a link in a thread on a photography forum for me to even consider that they existed.:blush:

Then, to be sure that our legs weren't being pulled I took the time to do further research for other citations and articles.
here is the original link that got me started, Warm Blooded Plants | Amusing Planet

Pretty common occurrence actually. It's easily noted with our local species of Skunk Cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus). You'll notice that the snow melts away from it's flowers very rapidly in early spring.

The Amorphophallus titanum - the monster Arum that always gets in the news when some botanical collection blooms theirs - generates enough heat in its bloom that you can feel it radiating warmth when standing near it. Of course, you would only be doing that if you are wearing a gas mask....

Amorphophallus titanum (titan arum) | Plants & Fungi At Kew

Interesting, I did not know this was a thing either. Coincidently, The Titan Arum at the Chicago Botanical garden bloomed last month. Unfortunately I didnt get a chance to visit. I went to the website and found this picture

PtPV76f.jpg

You guys mentioned both plants I was going to talk about. Are the other Amorphophallus also heat generating? I think I might have to cultivate them and find out.

Edit: Other Amorphophallus plants might not except for the Elephant Yam, but other arums(such as the skunk cabbage) definitely do heat up.

Last edited:
I believe Draculnculus vulgaris is another heat generator - I didn't have the stomach to get close enough to make an assessment! The colored portion of this bloom is about 20" tall, by the way.

20130608-144718.jpg

Cycads were some of the first to use thermogenesis as a method for getting tiny, old lineages of insects (like thrips) to move pollen from one cone to another. Pretty neat. And of course, the more modern Araceae is also famous for it, as has been pointed out.

Love the thermo photograph. While not terribly common a phenomenon in the plant world, it is not -- as has been pointed out -- as rare as folks think. I have wondered if plants like snowdrops (Galanthus ) might also generate their own heat considering they, too, bloom while snow still covers the ground.

Some Varieties of heleborus also bloom in the winter and snow, most notably the "Christmas Rose" variety. Not sure if they use thermogenesis, though. I haven't heard about it.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I never knew! Wish it was something I could grow!

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I never knew! Wish it was something I could grow!

Which was something you could grow? There are a lot of them.

Back