What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show off your Sphagnum moss

I think I'll try posting a thread dedicated to Sphagnum moss. It seems like it is always sort of in the background but can be important in bringing the look of your plants to the next level. Just like bragging about your collection of Nepenthes or Sarracenia, show off your unique varieties of Sphagnum. There are many different varieties out there and I would like to see what you have. Post pictures of your different cultures or of Sphagnum growing with you plants. Offer tips and tricks on how you get the best looking moss out there, because I for one think Sphagnum looks awesome and can be as diverse as anything else!

Not much in the variety of moss, but here's what it looks like in my greenhouse:
kjXK20Uh.jpg

I may need to do something about this soon:
QuqoLAOh.jpg

I expect pure live sphagnum in a proper net pot would look better, but it's interesting to see how the sphagnum grows out:
VaAkzW5h.jpg

And a test I'm doing in a small terrarium. Less light but way higher humidity seems to result in sparser but faster growth.
sCl0nT1h.jpg

As for notes on growth, I think giving it as much water as possible is the key. In my experience, having the sphagnum sit in shallow water results in the best growth, but then you run into problems if you're using it as media or a top dressing. You might be able to see in the first pic how I've got a large tray of water with a wire grill over it, the lowest pots sit on the wire but the sphagnum sits in the water. Likewise, higher coverage by the misters seems to result in better growth. Note the third pic where the sphagnum has white tips, it's been cool recently so the misters haven't been running as frequently. Coffee killed it, but light applications of orchid fertiliser whenever I did the Neps seems to work.

Last edited:
So it is safe to say that I have a sphagnum moss obsession. I have around ten different kinds growing at the moment. Here are some of my favorite ones below. Enjoy!

XusXX5A.jpg
[/IMG]
I5SBvoT.jpg
[/IMG]
ky0mBTV.jpg
[/IMG]

This is what my "moss bench project" looked like:
20130513-095327.jpg

Apparently I don't have a photo of my N. lowii in its hanging pot that's more recent than 2013, so here's the 2013 pic:

20130814-082750.jpg

Last edited:
To the part where you say "Less light but way higher humidity seems to result in sparser but faster growth," I have noticed that to. I left one culture inside in a little closed terrarium and the other open to the air. The Sphagnum under closed conditions seemed to grow very tall quickly and the heads were very small. The group left out in the open stayed pretty much the same height and grew much denser but slower. Also, those are some very nice pictures you guys posted. Looks like you have almost too much Whimgrinder its starting to take over.

Last edited:
Nursery tray takeover!!

VF8ziel.jpg
[/IMG]

I have been collecting different forms (I can't say species as I don't know their true identity.) LOL

lsm_campanulata_cutting_zpse3c8f7ae.jpg

Got to admit I am slightly obsessed spot the darlingtonia

Another form of red sphagnum moss

nepenthes_adnata8_050215_zpsgfbglray.jpg

Last edited:
A sample of my few bits of sphagnum.

21195598401_49f0366e8d_o.jpg

22645671726_a42c49aff1_o.jpg

22483741660_4e54cf600f_o.jpg

There's more :-O

Damn, I wish I had the space to grow that much sphag. All of your sphag looks amazing, especially corky with your pot of darlings and sphag. How did you get it to grow that well?

I have no idea, it is in very good sun , watered with rain water , never been fertilised and is just pure sphag , wish the darlingtonia grew as well:) but they are spreading like crazy , popping up all over or under the place

Must be the sun

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hate to resurrect a thread on it's way out, but I was reminded of it when I took this pic a couple days ago. The sphag at the bottom started out as just 3-4 inch-long strands in the pot. Now you can barely see the top of the label sticking out. This is about 5-6 months growth.

s-leucophylla-hc-11-27-15.jpg

Back