What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finding a place to live with carnivorous plants

Graduated from college a few months ago, found a job, and is ready to move out.

Here's my indoor and out door set.

Now the question is how much do I sell and bring with me.

Anyone with similar experiences with finding a place to live with roommates that would accommodate an outdoor and indoor collection?

I want to move out of my parent's house within the next 2-5 months which means I"m not in a hurry. But I'd rather not wait until the last minute to sell off things I can't take with me.

My collection is pretty important to me which is why I am looking for townhouses or houses for the outdoor collection.

I live in the silicon valley and rent's pretty expensive. So I will inevitably have to make some sacrifices since I don't want to pay anymore than $1500 a month for rent. Any suggestions on what to sell off if it comes to that?

But I don't know, any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm assuming your job is near-ish to your current location? In the Bay Area it's gonna be a little tricky. (I'm assuming you aren't a software engineer or data magician hired by one of the big tech firms.) The indoor plants shouldn't be a problem as you can fit those in a room anywhere. Outdoor stuff will be a little tougher, notably the Sarracenia. All the rest of those I've grown in a sunny window without issue (including the Drosophyllum). While prices aren't on your side, at least the climate is. ;)

Your best bet for having sufficient outdoor space is getting a room in a home. That's typically also a pretty cheap way of going about things as well. Padmapper.com is my go-to when looking for a place.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I live in an apartment with a balcony. I always pick the place based on if I can have my plants grow there successfully (e.g. windows for indoor ones, balcony for outdoor) without getting stolen or destroyed by wildlife. I don't know if they have balconies there. I definitely need to pick small-ish Sarras and keep the Neps in pots too small for their size. This year or early next I think I'm gonna chop back a bunch of vines for space and amount of water concerns.

+1 to padmapper.

Back