What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea M. 'Jaws' Progression

Figured I'd add this here... I've got some succession pictures for you. First, though, I will give you some background on this plant. It came out of dormancy this past spring and flowered for me, because I wanted to get seed from it, and my FTS Maroon Monster was flowering and I thought that would make a nice cross.

Plant flowered, set seed, et cetera-- Now it is June. I had been thinking about doing a reverse dormancy project for a while, so I decided to take this plant, bag it up, and put it in the fridge until September, to simulate dormancy.

That's right. I let this plant flower, and IMMEDIATELY shoved it right back into dormant mode without giving it a chance to replenish its strength. That shows you that this cultivar isn't made of wimpy stuff. It has been abused and is still coming back strong.

September 24
v5ecs0.jpg

September 28
8y6ejt.jpg

October 7
w8rwqp.jpg

October 20
242tlx5.jpg

November 10
23jn0c0.jpg

2nsas60.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful plant, and nicely grown! Even before I knew enough about cps to be sure it was bs, the thought of a healthy VFT (or any perennial) not being able to survive setting seed struck me as ludicrous. Annuals and biennials don't survive seed set, nor do monocarpic species. But surviving seed set to grow again next season is pretty much what separates perennials from monocarpic species......

This plant was entered into the October photo contest. It's grown a lot since then. Thank you SubRosa, glad you liked it. :)

Last edited:
A cool little experiment! 'Looks like you really know how to do refrigerator dormancy, which can be deadly for plants if done improperly. I don't know a lot about this cultivar but it looks very nice from your photos. So now we will get to see what you get from the cross with "Maroon Monster"?

Looks great! I wish I had kept my childhood flytrap collection, had some pretty nice ones :). Do you grow all of yours in straight sphagnum?

Looks great! I wish I had kept my childhood flytrap collection, had some pretty nice ones :). Do you grow all of yours in straight sphagnum?

Yes... All of them are in 100% Mosser Lee LFS. The domestic, poor quality stuff.

A cool little experiment! 'Looks like you really know how to do refrigerator dormancy, which can be deadly for plants if done improperly. I don't know a lot about this cultivar but it looks very nice from your photos. So now we will get to see what you get from the cross with "Maroon Monster"?

This was actually my first fridge dormancy. I didn't use fungicide or anything, I just checked on the plant and its buddies every once in a while. I'll post some seedling pictures soon.

Amazing plant katya, once again :)
I really like that clone.

Last edited:
:hail: Thank you Maiden! If you think it looks good, I must be doing something right. :D

Back