What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sopchoppy FL and carnivorous plants?

Hello all,

I'm seriously considering moving over to the panhandle of Florida in the next couple of years, and there's a little town called Sopchoppy right in the Apalachicola National Forest. It has a population under 1000 and is only about a half hour from Tallahassee, but as mentioned, is right in the forest. However, it is kind of close to the coast, and I'm not sure if it is far enough inland to have the CPs.

I'm hoping that someone from the NASC might see this and could help, as well as anyone who is a member who has experience in that area. I use resources like this, but they generally only go down to county level. I want to get acreage, but I have a mind for conservation and burning the land to maintain the pine savanna of the region. Granted, this is still a few years off, but I like to plan things out ahead of time to have my ducks in a row.

ANY input in this would be greatly appreciated!

Oohhh yeah, sopchoppy! Pretty sure they have a worm festival there. Welcome to Florida! I lived in Tallahassee for a few years, we used to ride our bikes the 16 miles to the sinkholes and back to swim- seriously under appreciated natural beauty in that area, sadly often only recognized as a slate to be cleared for development. The forest out there is mostly pine scrub, oak, cypress near the water.. the st. Marks trail goes from tally through sopchoppy to st marks on the river, makes a great day trip, and only 90 miles south to the coast- we used to bike there and camp near that creepy lighthouse, ha. They do regular burns out there, not sure how they'd feel if you did one yourself :) here's my thoughts on the climate: tallahassee's ******* hot in the summer, easy to get up over 100 F days a week, and summers the rainy season, so humidity is up in the 80s and 90s pretty much all the time. Rains about 10-20 minutes around 2-4 in the afternoon many days in the summer; nights do not drop temps substantially. Winter is less wet, but still precipitates frequently, and mildly chilly: can get down into the 40s some days, 30s and 40s at night. It 'snows' every 5-10 years or so, melts off by morning, but many plants can freeze- folks usually put a few sheets over sensitive plants in the yard. My guess is sarracenias, vfts, most tropical (lowland) plants of various genera would do well outside year round. My mom still has the sarracenia rubra I sent her a few years ago in the backyard :)

Back