What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NECPS finally decided to take some action on our very overgrown bog at the Roger Williams Botanical Center in Providence RI.

Here is the bog before the demo. It was extremely overgrown with grasses, sedges, ferns, oxalis and many other various weeds. Plants had just been stuck in there over the years wherever they would fit with no real planning involved.

After the gutting of the entire top 8" or so of the bog.

The beginning of the rebuild.

The bog is now divided into 4 separate regions with only species endemic to each region growing in it's respective space. There are now sections for North America, South America & Mexico, South Africa and Australia.

Here's a list of all the species now contained in our bog.

Australia:
C.follicularis
D.auriculata
D.modesta
D.menziesii
D.hookeri
D.burmanii
D.roseana
D.binata var. dichotoma
D.binata var. binata
D.spatulata
D.hamiltonii
D.roseana
S.debile
U.dichotoma

South America & Mexico:
B.reducta
D.felix
D.latifolia
D.tomentosa
D.graomogolensis
H.heterodoxa x minor
H.minor
H.uncinata
P.laueana
P.agnata
P.moranensis var. alba
P.esseriana
P.rotundiflora
U.blanchetii
U.alpina
U.pubescens
U.praelonga
U.nelumbifolia
U.nephrophylla
U.humboldtii
U.calycifida
U.reniformis

South Africa:
D.capensis
D.aliciae
D.hilaris
D.venusta var. coccicaulis
D. sp. South Africa
G.hispidula
U.sandersonii 'Blue'
U.welwitschii

South African Non CP's:
Babiana stricta
Geissorhiza tulbaghensis
Tritonia duesta

North America:
D.brevifolia
D.intermedia
D.capillaris
D.filiformis
D.filiformis 'Florida Giant'
D.filiformis var. tracyii
U.cornuta
U.minor
U.resupinata
S.leucophylla

North American Non CP's:
Calopogon tuberosus
Spiranthes cernua
Rhexia virginica

I will also be adding the following plants or seeds soon:

Australia:
D.aberrans
D.macrantha
D.indica
D.scorpioides
D.omissa
D.prolifera
S.graminifolium
S.diuroides
S.crassifolium
U.menziesii
U.laterifolia

South America & Mexico:
D.sp. Auyan Tepui
D.spiralis
D.esmeraldae
D.hirticalyx
G.aurea
G.violacea
H.heterodoxa
P.jaumavensis
P.moctezumae

South Africa:
D.affinis
D.collinsiae
D.nataliensis
D.nidiformis
D.madagascariensis
D.capensis 'Broad Leaf'
D.capensis 'Albino'
D.capensis 'Red'
D.cistiflora
D.pauciflora
D.trinervia
D.regia
G.glandulosissima

North America:
D.filiformis 'Florida All Red'
P.planifolia
P.lutea
P.caerulea
P.primuliflora
S.flava ssp. flava
S.flava ssp. cuprea
S.flava ssp. rubricorpora
S.flava ssp. maxima
S.flava ssp. rugelii "Extreme Red Throat"
S.flava var. ornata "Black Veins"
S.minor
S.minor var. okeefenokeensis
S.rosea
S.rubra ssp. gulfensis
S.alata ssp. rubrioperculata
S.oreophila
S.psitticina
U.subulata
U.geminiscapa
U.gibba

The bog will be much more diverse and attractive once it's all grown in. I will be posting more photos very soon.

Last edited:
Excited to see how the new layout looks once everything is settled in.

I think Zach, Greg and I are going down next weekend to finish it up. Just a little tweaking on the North American side and a few more plants throughout and it'll be 100% done.

That is quite a variety of plants. I expect it'll be a sight to see when it's complete.

I went down today, made a few adjustments, sowed some seed and added some more plants. I will have many, many new plants going in at the December meeting.

North American Section

South African Section

Australian Section

South American/Mexican Section

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see an update in a couple months.

Every bog has to start somewhere and I applaud your efforts for (1) taking the initiative to really spruce up an underused public resource and (2) cramming more diversity into that amount of square footage than I have ever seen. It is impressively ambitious and I can only imagine spectacular views to follow over the years as it grows in. It will be like a 4-continent warzone as all those species duke it out for dominance, which is interesting in and of itself regardless of who wins (cough D. burmannii).

While tearing off the bandaid of an overgrown planting is never pretty, you guys will wind up with the most diverse and interesting planting on the east coast. If all goes as planned you will have ABG completely beaten on Drosera, and as far as I know will have created the singular best public Drosera outplanting that I am familiar with.

Thanks Kevin, that means quite a bit coming from you. I put several species in there (especially some Drosera........aliciae, brevifolia, burmanii, capensis etc...) knowing fully that keeping them in their respective designated areas will be a challenge. It should be fine as long as we keep up on the "weeding" and the end result will certainly be worth the extra trouble of controlling some of the plants that tend to wander.

Thanks Kevin, that means quite a bit coming from you. I put several species in there (especially some Drosera........aliciae, brevifolia, burmanii, capensis etc...) knowing fully that keeping them in their respective designated areas will be a challenge. It should be fine as long as we keep up on the "weeding" and the end result will certainly be worth the extra trouble of controlling some of the plants that tend to wander.

And even if not, better any Drosera than those sedges! Sedges and rushes were the death of my first bog, and made me determined to keep my stuff exclusively in pots, as you'd mentioned earlier.

Yup. The whole top 6" or so was nothing but an enormous knot of sedge and fern roots. We had to cut into it and remove it in blocks. It was no fun. Hopefully we can stay on top of weeding it this time around.

That will look fantastic very soon. Excellent work!

Yup. The whole top 6" or so was nothing but an enormous knot of sedge and fern roots. We had to cut into it and remove it in blocks. It was no fun. Hopefully we can stay on top of weeding it this time around.

Any ferns in the genus Osmunda?

Oh man, I'm looking forward to seeing this at the next NECPS meeting! (If I manage to make it there this time. Or next. Or ever again.)

You should really try to make it on the 12th. The December meeting is always a great one.

So, how do you water that without disturbing the surface? And how do you keep the variations in elevation from evening out - in other words, the little puddles from filling in and the hills from collapsing?

Back