Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    How about Drama Phishing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    Let's not put lipstick on a pig -- troll is the appropriate adjective. (Or noun or verb! So versatile!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    If you're willing to hold the pig, I'll put the lipstick on him. Heck, I'll even pay for a decent color.
    Reminds me of a joke one of my Psychology professors used to tell. It goes like this:

A reporter was visiting (Insert the name of a local well known mental hospital). While in the yard of one ward he noticed an inmate going through the motions of fishing (or phishing if you so insist) - repeatedly casting an imaginary line out and reeling it back in. So the reporter sidles up to the inmate and with a smirk whispers conspiratorially "Catch any yet?". All the while continuing his pantomime with a cat-that-ate-the-canary grin the inmate looks the reporter straight in the eye and replies "Just one so far".
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    And curtisconnors: a snake is not going to drink from something it knows to be dangerous. Nepenthes liquid is not likely to be harmful either to them, but most snakes will know the difference between pitcher fluid and pure water and will go for the latter anyway.
    While I must agree with this being true of Asian or Australian snakes that have nepenthes in their range. I believe the snake being kept with the plant is a garden boa. A South American snake that does not have any nepenthes in their natural habitat. Correct me if I'm wrong on the species. That's what it looked like in the photo I saw.
    As for drinking from the cups being potentially dangerous, I just worry a lot when it comes to pets. I'd rather just not take the risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to go through the aggravation and get all dirty catching a pig, you might as well slit its throat, hang it to bleed out, gut it, shove a spit through it, season it well and slowly roast it over an open fire. The end result is far more useful than a dolled up sow. Unless that's what floats your boat........
    Last edited by SubRosa; 02-09-2016 at 06:41 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The snake is a Red Amazon tree boa. As a south american native there wouldn't be any Nepenthes in the native habitat. Luckily, his head is much too fat to fit in the pitchers in my tank.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an Asian native either, but the liquid isn't going to hurt me. As skoogenheimer noted, the first issue would be the animal would need to get its head into the pitcher, and a boa of any kind is going to find that hard with all but the largest traps (and I have never heard of any snake referred to as a "garden boa." "garden snake" perhaps, but both are incorrect terms not applicable to any species). Second issue would be the snake would be more likely to look for food than find water there, as again they can smell the difference quite readily. Thirdly, if it were (as terrible a thought it may be) the only source of water, there is nothing in the liquid of a Nepenthes that is going to have a detrimental effect on a snake; they don't secrete toxins into the fluid (or nowhere near the amount that it would take to hurt a snake the size of a Corallus species), and the enzymes won't hurt an animal with already powerful gastric fluids anyway. Anything in there wouldn't be much different beyond that from a puddle in bromeliad, which this species would find in situ.....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure where people got the idea the pitcher fluid would hurt the snake... there is far stronger stuff already inside the snakes stomach.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    Im not sure where people got the idea the pitcher fluid would hurt the snake... there is far stronger stuff already inside the snakes stomach.
    Folks do love a good conspiracy theory!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And ohhhhh how snake conspiracies tick me off.....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast