What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nepenthes edwardsiana

Hey all,

Just wanted to post some new photos of my edardsiana! It looks great I think its going to do really well :). I put extra sphagnum to make sure it is humid enough too haha :). I will post updates as it gets bigger!

Wish me luck! :-D

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:
I will probably just do the bag/ac thing. It's the best I can do :(

So you really bought an eddy?...Well, good luck with that and please keep us updated about how your "plans and tricks" work.

You actually got an edwardsiana?
Unfortunately, the bag/ac method will not work effectively. You need more experience and a better setup for it to work. I've been growing cps for years and I'm just now getting an eddy to put in my highland setup.

I put extra sphagnum to make sure it is humid enough too haha

That won't work too well. Live sphagnum is much better for humidity. Besides, temps are much more important than humidity for you atm.

It looks great I think its going to do really well
I will post updates as it gets bigger!

I doubt it will do well or get bigger unless you get bright light, cool temps, good humidity, and a stable setup.

Wish me luck!

Yep. You'll need it.

Last edited:
Why don't you go ahead and buy an AC unit and ultrasonic humidifier? It'll be less expensive than what you paid for that plant, and your plant will do well.

Good luck. Don't use ice baths on the plant.

You should have used the money you spent on the eddy to build a proper grow chamber. When I decided I was going to grow neps again I made sure I had a suitable growing area that could provide an exacting, consistent, and appropriate environment before I even purchased my first plant. The best part is I have a fully automated chamber and it didn't cost that much more then the cost of a single N. edwardsiana.

Ill be very curious to see what your plant looks like in a month or twos time.

BTW is this an AW eddy or SG?

Enough already, with all of this TF fascistic scheiss, about building so-called "proper growing chambers" or jerry-rigging AC units, prior to buying a ******ing plant! N. edwardsiana is about the simplest of the highlanders to grow, far more tolerant than, say, N. villosa; and can almost be grown as an intermediate, in some parts of the country . . .

Last edited:
Good luck, dude. Please don't cryogenize it or stick a magnet underneath the pot because it is not going to work.

Last edited:
Sadly I live in Chicago, so growing it outdoors isn't really an option. Just got 10" of snow today actually...not quite Eddy weather.

Enough with all of his TF fascistic scheiss, about building so-called "proper growing chambers" or jerry-rigging AC units, prior to buy g a ******ing plant! N. edwardsiana is about the simplest of the highlanders to grow; and can almost be grown as an intermediate, in some parts of the country . . .

Regardless, A plant of that size will not last long on a windowsill in Chicago.
I can almost guarantee the same for the fabled hamata that could or
could not be coming.

Last edited:
Regardless, A plant of that size will not last long on a windowsill in Chicago.
I can almost guarantee the same for the fabled hamata that could or
could not be coming.
I remember there being a person that grew their hamata on a windowsill so that may be more reasonable

I remember there being a person that grew their hamata on a windowsill so that may be more reasonable
Lol we still have yet to see someone who can replicate the results.

To be fair I've only seen it once so that's probably true. Maybe I'll try growing one down here in south Florida, I'm sure it'll like my windowsill (yeah right haha).

To be fair I've only seen it once so that's probably true. Maybe I'll try growing one down here in south Florida, I'm sure it'll like my windowsill (yeah right haha).

I also want you to try it with a brand new plant, right from shipping, thats less than 2 inches across.
"good luck" to you sir!

I grow some of my plants outside and others on a south-facing windowsill -- such as the one pictured below. At best, its conditions are that of an intermediate. I do nothing, in terms of heating or cooling -- the least of all being some damned expensive Rube Goldberg setup, designed to replicate Kinabalu, and destined to fail at the first inevitable power outage.

True, some areas of the country are less hospitable than others; and that grower must make some accommodations; but I have personally seen or heard about more wholesale failures from elaborate, over-humid, poorly-ventilated growing chambers over the years, than those plants less fussed over and treated as the very odd houseplant . . .

Nepenthes edwardsiana

Last edited:
Maybe using the bio-dome method would work to get small plants acclimated

Multiple people have replicated the results.. Nepenthes hamata is easy as hell to grow.

This is how my hamata, vent. cream, and eddie grow--

Current conditions, it'll get up to at least 80 today again:
PB220068.jpg

Yeah, that's no humidity. It hurts to breathe. I just watered the plants and left some standing water so I don't lose *all* of the pitchers, just most of them :(

This is the eddie in a 4" pot:
PB220067.jpg

Its to the left of that caterpillar-eaten hamata, and the vent cream is in that same tray:
PB220066.jpg

So--- Why are Edwardsiana and Hamata so incredibly expensive (generally) if they're easy to grow? Don't easy to grow plants get cheaper over time, because they are easier to reproduce?

I'm struggling to understand how some people can grow excellent specimens on windowsills, yet elsewhere gloom and doom is proclaimed. I took from this that replicating the natural environment of these plants is the best approach. But having seen BigBella's specimen, I'm beginning to wonder.

Back