What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nepenthes edwardsiana

That hamata is absolutely incredible.

Anyways, any updates on the eddie?

Elgecko's magic window! What about the Rajah and the Bicalcarata that were there? Are they still alive?

Great hamata :)

Elgecko's magic window! What about the Rajah and the Bicalcarata that were there? Are they still alive?
Traded the rajah way a long time ago. Looked to be settling in well. Just didn't have the space.
The bicalcarata is still here. Looks terrible. Probably because its been in the same soil for over 5 years and its all broken down (Just checked records.... around 8 years. Wow I'm bad at repotting. Would explain the look of some plants.). I did replant a bunch of Sarrs this spring that according to my records where in the same pot for 6 years. No wonder they looked unhappy. Still have a few more plants to repot so that they are in fresh soil.

Wow that hamata is beautiful! Gives me hope. It's still alive! I'm pretty busy with the holidays but I'll post more pics soon.

How often/if at all were you misting your hamata?

Having seen this from both sides of the climate coin, I think the reality is somewhere between the two opposing narratives we're seeing here. In Bay Area, CA, sure you can stick just about anything outside or on a sunny windowsill and it'll thrive. But that being said, just because you don't have optimal climate, that doesn't mean that you need to have a sophisticated, highly-engineered life support system to keep the plant going.

One of your biggest issues is going to be humidity. When temps are decently high you'll be running AC and drying out the air. When temps are decently low you'll be heating up already-dry air giving you very low relative humidity. Also be aware that temperatures on a windowsill can differ wildly from the rest of the house depending on how good your windows are.

Is it impossible? Not at all, but you're going to need to do some reading into conditions the plant likes and come up with some ideas for how to address the discrepancies between that and your local climate. With school, holidays, etc, you'll find that the more you can "dummyproof" your system, the happy you and your plant will be. An existence where you need to mist your plant X times per day is a lousy one for both you and your plant.

Wow that hamata is beautiful! Gives me hope. It's still alive! I'm pretty busy with the holidays but I'll post more pics soon.

So, how is this plant doing? Its been weeks since you've updated....

*bump*

Is this plant still alive? Please update us on its progress!

[MENTION=11723]skoogenheimer[/MENTION]: I too am dying to see pics of the eddie. Ive been waiting on the edge of my seat for months now!

Last edited:
*bump*

Is this plant still alive? Please update us on its progress!

Considering that the OP has been active this month, but has not posted any new information on this thread, it's probably safe to assume that the plant is dead.

- - - Updated - - -

...unless the OP can swoop in and prove me wrong

I hope he reports back to us, no matter what the status of the plant.
I believe that if someone succeeds by approaching his plants with unorthodox/experimental techniques, we should all get to benefit from what was learned. If the plant did not survive the experiment, that too is worth our time and effort to study and absorb, so future growers don't make similar mistakes.

Considering that the OP has been active this month, but has not posted any new information on this thread, it's probably safe to assume that the plant is dead....unless the OP can swoop in and prove me wrong

*bump*
Seems unlikely you're wrong, considering that the OP is ignoring all requests for an update. Ah well - live and learn, eh?!

*bump*
Seems unlikely you're wrong, considering that the OP is ignoring all requests for an update. Ah well - live and learn, eh?!

People his age are rarely taught how to lose/be proven wrong gracefully..........

[MENTION=11723]skoogenheimer[/MENTION] Common man, don't leave us hanging like this

Been a while since I've been on.

This is a bit of a heated thread.

I think I was one of a very few people that had tried a N. hamata as a windowsill plant years ago. To be exact, it has been growing as a windowsill plant since 7/15/2004.
The N. hamata was a plant I always wanted. I did not have the "proper" setup required to have the plant thrive, so I was told.

Nhamata.jpg

skoogenheimer good luck with your plant.
Eddy is nice, but hamata still have the greatest looking, in my opinion. Your plant is just stunning!

Last edited:
Eddy is nice, but hamata still have the greatest looking, in my opinion. Your plant is just stunning!

Isn't it?! Francois, I seem to recall YOU have a very nice specimen yourself, correct? :)

Hahah :)
From a neps jedi like you, its a great compliment; you made my day !

I think its a personnal choice.
Both species are very special :)

Last edited:
Hey all,

Been super busy. I actually traded that eddy for an offer I couldn't refuse. I did however manage to get another baby TC'd eddy from Native Exotics. It's maybe 3/4 of an inch across I figure it will acclimate better to my conditions if it starts as a baby.

I changed my setup a bit. I finally got a dedicated tank for my plants. I have an Amazon tree boa in there as well. Day temps are about 80 in the corner where the eddy is, and 68 at night. I also have a straight up ventricosa, ventricosa x merrilliana, and campanulata x robcantleyi in there as well. I have one of those monsoon misters in there so humidity hovers around 75% pretty consistently.

Want pics, or would it make ya'll sad?

I think you're probably going to get replies saying you still need to drop the night temps for that edwardsiana to survive (whether it's a baby or not if you don't give it the temperatures it needs it will NOT survive!!!), but the other neps should do pretty well in those conditions.
And I want a pic of that boa......

Back