What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nepenthes edwardsiana

The boa is a beauty. He's moved up to hoppers finally but he's still got some growing to do. They're very aggressive but I can take him out to handle at night (lights out in a few hours)

I actually traded that eddy for an offer I couldn't refuse. I did however manage to get another baby TC'd eddy from Native Exotics. It's maybe 3/4 of an inch across I figure it will acclimate better to my conditions if it starts as a baby.

The first plant you had wasn't "a baby"?? :ohno:
And 68F nights are far too warm, as Hawken suggested.

Last edited:
I believe in miracles. If God can help Moses part the Red sea he can help me grow an Eddy too warm :)

The boa is a beauty. He's moved up to hoppers finally but he's still got some growing to do. They're very aggressive but I can take him out to handle at night (lights out in a few hours)

They're very easy to handle if you're paying attention and have reasonably good reflexes. Their strike is very slow by snake standards, and easily avoidable if you're paying attention. By distracting them with one hand your other hand can become the branch supporting the snake. Once you have them in hand they're no problem except to anything that moves around you.

I actually think the temps may be ok (for now), as long as the plant doesn't dry out during the hottests parts of the day. Nepenthes fresh from TC are much more sensitive than ones that have been harded off (do you mean that the plant from NE is straight out of TC, or that it is a TC clone?).

It was hardened off for me. It's been out for a few months I guess.

I believe in miracles.

I stopped believing when I realized no pictures are going to be posted.
(I guess im still halfway curious to see the current eddie.)
Also, If you dont mind me asking, What exactly did you trade for? The snake??

Last edited:

Well said sir!

Yes pictures please!

They're very easy to handle if you're paying attention and have reasonably good reflexes. Their strike is very slow by snake standards, and easily avoidable if you're paying attention. By distracting them with one hand your other hand can become the branch supporting the snake. Once you have them in hand they're no problem except to anything that moves around you.

I think the biggest problem I see is that they're being housed together. Snakes are not lightweight creatures. I can just imagine it deciding to bask on top of the "eddy's" pot and smooshing the plant. Even frogs (except for the smaller dartfrogs), have a tendency to tear up vivarium plants with their activity. The only animal terrarium I'd consider keeping a precious plant in would be for something light and unobtrusive, like a spider or other carnivorous insect.

I have a hard time believing that this thread is still a thing.

Pics please. I think nepenthes are more adaptable than people think. Good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hey all,

After much anticipation here it is! Photos of my baby TC eddy, the big eddy I just recently got in, and my snake. Enjoy and feel free to let me know what you think :)

P.S. The boa tank experieinces roughly a 15 degree day/night difference which is pretty good.

LINK BELOW CHECK IT OUT

Nepenthes, snake - Album on Imgur

The snake actually isn't too big of a problem. It's pretty much 100% aroboreal so he just chills in the canopy or the logs above, haven't had problems yet

I would never risk housing any plant worth more than 30 dollars with a live animal. Period. If you must house it with the snake, could you set up a cube made out of plastic with a mesh top to protect the plant?

I would never risk housing any plant worth more than 30 dollars with a live animal. Period. If you must house it with the snake, could you set up a cube made out of plastic with a mesh top to protect the plant?

It's been fine so far! I'll probably get a bigger tank soon so there's more room for him. I should be able to repot it if it gets knocked over right?

It's been fine so far! I'll probably get a bigger tank soon so there's more room for him. I should be able to repot it if it gets knocked over right?

I just find it surprising you're willing to risk an expensive plant like that. I wouldn't base anything off of "so-far". What if it gets upotted while you're gone? You'd have a dead plant for sure.

Back