What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nepenthes edwardsiana

I just find it surprising you're willing to risk an expensive plant like that. I wouldn't base anything off of "so-far". What if it gets upotted while you're gone? You'd have a dead plant for sure.

Eh I should be able to get another one. Or, I may just out that bigger eddy in the tank cause it has thicker leaves :)

The snake's feces and dead skin should provide some nutrients for the plants. The CO2 released when your snake exhales would also be beneficial. Great way to think outside the box!

And if the snake decides to constrict your seedling, just buy another one. No biggie!

Last edited:
The snake's feces and dead skin should provide some nutrients for the plants. The CO2 released when your snake exhales would also be beneficial. Great way to think outside the box!

And if the snake decides to constrict your seedling, just buy another one. No biggie!

Dude snakes eat meat, not plants. Nice try though 😜

Phising is trying to steal financial information, which I have no need to do. I was just playing dumb with mato for making fun of me

Phising is trying to steal financial information, which I have no need to do. I was just playing dumb with mato for making fun of me

How about Drama Phishing?

Its my hypothesis that you are fully aware that this species is regarded by people of this community as one of the "holy grail" species and as such has greater intrinsic value than perhaps any other. Then there is the fact that it is one of the most expensive species to acquire. Now factor in your casual attitude towards ownership of what is reputedly now your second plant of it, its hard not to conclude that you are engineering a situation in which your intent is to inflame and upset the readers who do not have the resources to purchase one. You treat the plant as if its disposable, with your "Eh I should be able to get another one" attitude, and I am certain you know that is an offensive message to send into the community. So yes - lets call this Drama Phishing. This thread doesn't merit taking seriously, IMO.

I am aware, that's why I wanted one so badly. I was looking for advice at first but I was mocked, so I left for a while to see if I could grow them on my own.

I now have one in my boa tank which never gets below 70, despite everyone saying it would die immediately. I have more experience growing it than most on here, yet they still mock me.

Of course I'm going to use sarcasm when my success with the holy grail is met with scorn.

End rant.

I am aware, that's why I wanted one so badly. I was looking for advice at first but I was mocked, so I left for a while to see if I could grow them on my own.

I now have one in my boa tank which never gets below 70, despite everyone saying it would die immediately. I have more experience growing it than most on here, yet they still mock me.

Of course I'm going to use sarcasm when my success with the holy grail is met with scorn.

End rant.

Success is measured in a period of time longer than your attention span.

- - - Updated - - -

End rant.

Success is measured in a period of time longer than your attention span.

Most of us have never said it would die immediately. Highland plants may look like they're doing pretty okay for a couple of months, then slow down and languish for a great period of time before actually dying in improper conditions. But, improper conditions such as never dropping below the upper 60's is going to eventually be a downfall for a strict highland plant (despite the fact that, yes, it has been reported a being a fairly tolerant and easy highlander once settled, as opposed to most very rare highlanders). Other Nepenthes such as many hybrids may do very well in a tank with the boa (which is a great looking animal by the way :) ), or intermediate species, but I wouldn't dream of trying to acclimate a plant that eventually NEEDS long periods of at least into the very low 60's or upper 50's into a reptile tank. The period you have had either plant, a space of a few months, is nowhere near enough to show the eventual damage improper conditions can cause. People with low temperature extremes, or humidity fluctuations are a different story in the test of plant acclimation because the fundamental conditions are still met somewhere (thinking here of one member's famous dry-air patio where she grows extreme highlanders), but an improper constant isn't the same.

I, personally, would not put a nepenthes in a snake or lizard tank. I find it possible that if the snake drinks from the plant that the digestive juices in the plant could hurt the snake. Just my two cents.

Most of us have never said it would die immediately. Highland plants may look like they're doing pretty okay for a couple of months, then slow down and languish for a great period of time before actually dying in improper conditions. But, improper conditions such as never dropping below the upper 60's is going to eventually be a downfall for a strict highland plant (despite the fact that, yes, it has been reported a being a fairly tolerant and easy highlander once settled, as opposed to most very rare highlanders). Other Nepenthes such as many hybrids may do very well in a tank with the boa (which is a great looking animal by the way :) ), or intermediate species, but I wouldn't dream of trying to acclimate a plant that eventually NEEDS long periods of at least into the very low 60's or upper 50's into a reptile tank. The period you have had either plant, a space of a few months, is nowhere near enough to show the eventual damage improper conditions can cause. People with low temperature extremes, or humidity fluctuations are a different story in the test of plant acclimation because the fundamental conditions are still met somewhere (thinking here of one member's famous dry-air patio where she grows extreme highlanders), but an improper constant isn't the same.

If I ever have enough suitable space to grow highland Neps to mature size, you can bet I'll be keeping free range Jackson's chameleons with them! And if I have space for a couple cages, Fea's vipers and Boelen's pythons will be in them.

End rant.

Please. No one mocked you. No one said it would die "immediately." We simply stated that your plant was unlikely to thrive under the conditions you gave it and that you should get better conditions.
And people who are giving the majority of the advice like Whimgrinder have far more experience than you. Even I've been growing a 4 inch edwardsiana for months now and it has had leaf jumps.
Growing a plant for a few weeks and then replacing it with another is not "success with the holy grail." Success is having the SAME plant thrive for over a year.
End rant.

- - - Updated - - -

And please note the use of the word "thrive." Remember that surviving is not necessarily thriving.

Last edited:
If I ever have enough suitable space to grow highland Neps to mature size, you can bet I'll be keeping free range Jackson's chameleons with them! And if I have space for a couple cages, Fea's vipers and Boelen's pythons will be in them.

I sense sarcasm....
Let me be clear: I would never suggest highland Nepenthes to be housed with any but the most high-altitude reptiles and amphibians temperature-wise, and would not suggest it with anything that gets to any serious size; intermediate or lowland plants would more suit a vivarium housing ectotherms. I also personally would rather house animals and my plants separately for the most part, save perhaps some sacrificial test plants with species that are not terribly active and are lightweight. A Corallus hortulanus is not a heavy-bodied snake and is not at all likely to do any damage to a large plant (seedlings are not considered here, as it takes little to damage them); a lizard of any kind would be a different story, and a Morelia boeleni DEFINITELY would not be a wise decision. Aziemops feae might actually be decent, if you are one who knows how to work with hots....

And curtisconnors: a snake is not going to drink from something it knows to be dangerous. Nepenthes liquid is not likely to be harmful either to them, but most snakes will know the difference between pitcher fluid and pure water and will go for the latter anyway.

Its my hypothesis that you are fully aware that this species is regarded by people of this community as one of the "holy grail" species and as such has greater intrinsic value than perhaps any other. Then there is the fact that it is one of the most expensive species to acquire. Now factor in your casual attitude towards ownership of what is reputedly now your second plant of it, its hard not to conclude that you are engineering a situation in which your intent is to inflame and upset the readers who do not have the resources to purchase one. You treat the plant as if its disposable, with your "Eh I should be able to get another one" attitude, and I am certain you know that is an offensive message to send into the community. So yes - lets call this Drama Phishing. This thread doesn't merit taking seriously, IMO.

Let's not put lipstick on a pig -- troll is the appropriate adjective. (Or noun or verb! So versatile!)

Let's not put lipstick on a pig -- troll is the appropriate adjective. (Or noun or verb! So versatile!)

If you're willing to hold the pig, I'll put the lipstick on him. Heck, I'll even pay for a decent color.

If you're willing to hold the pig, I'll put the lipstick on him. Heck, I'll even pay for a decent color.

Reminds me of a joke one of my Psychology professors used to tell. It goes like this:

A reporter was visiting (Insert the name of a local well known mental hospital). While in the yard of one ward he noticed an inmate going through the motions of fishing (or phishing if you so insist) - repeatedly casting an imaginary line out and reeling it back in. So the reporter sidles up to the inmate and with a smirk whispers conspiratorially "Catch any yet?". All the while continuing his pantomime with a cat-that-ate-the-canary grin the inmate looks the reporter straight in the eye and replies "Just one so far".

And curtisconnors: a snake is not going to drink from something it knows to be dangerous. Nepenthes liquid is not likely to be harmful either to them, but most snakes will know the difference between pitcher fluid and pure water and will go for the latter anyway.

While I must agree with this being true of Asian or Australian snakes that have nepenthes in their range. I believe the snake being kept with the plant is a garden boa. A South American snake that does not have any nepenthes in their natural habitat. Correct me if I'm wrong on the species. That's what it looked like in the photo I saw.
As for drinking from the cups being potentially dangerous, I just worry a lot when it comes to pets. I'd rather just not take the risk.

If you're going to go through the aggravation and get all dirty catching a pig, you might as well slit its throat, hang it to bleed out, gut it, shove a spit through it, season it well and slowly roast it over an open fire. The end result is far more useful than a dolled up sow. Unless that's what floats your boat........

Last edited:
The snake is a Red Amazon tree boa. As a south american native there wouldn't be any Nepenthes in the native habitat. Luckily, his head is much too fat to fit in the pitchers in my tank.

Back