What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pest control Methods

Hi everyone,

I have really been hit hard this summer with pests on my CPs. I have found Mealybugs, Aphids and what I think is some kind of Mite. I have not been able to identify it yet as it is very small. I do know that it is red/orange in color.

So I am doing some research on methods to get rid of pests and came a cross the "Kill them with CO2" method. I have read mixed results and was wondering if this is actually worth trying out? I also came across this post on another site which had very good results with CO2, but he was killing snails and Millipedes and not Mealybugs, Aphids and Mites. link: Eliminating terrarium pests - Orchid Board

I am not very comfortable using pesticides on my CPs unless I really have to. I did however read about a certain type of pesticide that you apply into the plant medium and it is absorbed through the roots of the plant and any pests feeding on the plant will be poisoned and killed. Basically turning your plants into even more deadly killers :-D but for the life of me I can't find the name of the product or any other information.

Regards

Last edited:
I am not very comfortable using pesticides on my CPs unless I really have to. I did however read about a certain type of pesticide that you apply into the plant medium and it is absorbed through the roots of the plant and any pests feeding on the plant will be poisoned and killed. Basically turning your plants into even more deadly killers :-D but for the life of me I can't find the name of the product or any other information.

Might be thinking of Imidicloprid? It's a systemic pesticide (meaning it's absorbed into the plant's circulatory system, but the stuff I have is applied to the foliage, not the media. It's also less than successful at controlling mites. For them + scale, Bifenthrin has been recommended to me. Still too early to tell how well it's working for me.

Just remember that these shouldn't be used outdoors on flowering plants, because you're likely to kill any beneficial insects that come around trying to pollinate them. In that case, you could try spraying a Neem oil solution directly onto any visible pests. It helps control some larval forms of pests, and can suffocate the adults if it's sprayed directly onto them.

I have used neem oil with success. I mix 5mL of pure neem oil with 1-2mL of soap, and 1L of water. The dew on the plants goes away for a bit, but I have not had any plants die when using this spray. You have to apply it multiple times too, as neem does not get rid of the pests instantly. If you spray the plants over a one or two week period, you should be good to go from there.

If you use the CO2 method be prepared to repeat it at least once. Done properly it will kill every living insect in the treated area but any eggs will be unaffected. You will need to re-treat sometime after the last eggs present have hatched and before the first to hatch hit egg laying age. Obviously this requires some research.....

Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol + time to kill + patience. Repeat every week or two. Crushing them or judiciously pruning foliage has also saved me a number of unnecessary treatments. I'd consider pesticides only if it were more than a dozen plants.

Orthene is a short-term systemic, absorbed via direct contact and if it gets into the soil.

Thanks for all the great input everyone!
@Zath, I think it was indeed imidacloprid that I was thinking of.
@hcarlton, have you used Orthene before?
@DroseraLover, I will have a look into neem oil thanks.

@SubRosa, I think I will try the CO2 route first, I have found an Ice cream shop close to my home that sell dry ice and I have a fish tank which I will use to fill up with CO2. Have you ever tried this method?

@theplantman, I will also look into the rubbing alcohol and earbud, but some of the pests are just so small that rubbing them all out will be impossible.

I have also killed some pests by submerging my plants in water for a few days, replacing the water every 2 days so that it does not become anaerobic. But that does not kill the eggs , it might get rid of some of the eggs as they might float on the surface of the water and is discarded.

Last edited:
I have indeed used it to deal with thrips on some plants many years back. It took 3 treatments to eradicate them.

I use Orthene all the time, yes

Back