What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vraev, I believe it is HTML embed. So for example here is the code with a few tags removed so you can see what it looks like.

a data-flickr-embed="true" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/99611974@N05/22799154697/in/dateposted-public/" title="Untitled">

img src="https://farm1.staticflickr.com/681/22799154697_9525db355a_c.jpg" width="600" height="800" alt="Untitled">

/a script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Thanks Luca. Much appreciated man. :) I remember trying it, but never got the overlays...so was wondering. :) Good to know.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? Location can play a big role in determining how important nighttime cooling is. For example, here in SC I have no chance of growing highlanders without an AC unit, but on the west coast they can be grown outdoors year round.

I live just north of Hotlanta, so it comes to my surprise just as much as yours.

thez_yo - Glad I helped give you confidence with you experimenting growing neps / CPs on windowsills. Neps around the house helped push me to try it.

When I started growing CP's many years ago, everything you read was CPs need high humidity, some plants temp drops, etc, etc.
I wondered how I'd ever be able to grow any of these cool plants without some kind of elaborate set up.
So I experimented, and in doing so found many plants able to adapt. All neps that I grew as houseplants usually sulked for 3 to 4 months before adapting and started to produce pitchers again. I started out with common plants. After growing common plants as houseplants successfully I then started plants that were reported more finicky. Again after 3 or 4 months they adapted. That's when I made the jump, N. hamata. The plant I dreamed of owning in my collection for several years. Temp, humidity all running through my head. It's the only way that you can grow N. hamata...
In some old threads here, I believe I have it written, this experiment with the N. hamata will be "adapt or die". Of course I want no plant or animal to suffer, but sometimes it takes pushing the boundaries of "acceptable" conditions to see what can actually be tolerated.
I grow Helis, Cephs, Pings, Neps, Dews, Utrics, and Brocchinia as houseplants.

thez_yo - Glad I helped give you confidence with you experimenting growing neps / CPs on windowsills. Neps around the house helped push me to try it.

When I started growing CP's many years ago, everything you read was CPs need high humidity, some plants temp drops, etc, etc.
I wondered how I'd ever be able to grow any of these cool plants without some kind of elaborate set up.
So I experimented, and in doing so found many plants able to adapt. All neps that I grew as houseplants usually sulked for 3 to 4 months before adapting and started to produce pitchers again. I started out with common plants. After growing common plants as houseplants successfully I then started plants that were reported more finicky. Again after 3 or 4 months they adapted. That's when I made the jump, N. hamata. The plant I dreamed of owning in my collection for several years. Temp, humidity all running through my head. It's the only way that you can grow N. hamata...
In some old threads here, I believe I have it written, this experiment with the N. hamata will be "adapt or die". Of course I want no plant or animal to suffer, but sometimes it takes pushing the boundaries of "acceptable" conditions to see what can actually be tolerated.
I grow Helis, Cephs, Pings, Neps, Dews, Utrics, and Brocchinia as houseplants.

:hail:

What's your N.hamata potted in by the way? Is that shredded coco on bottom and pure live moss it's growing in, or is that just a top dressing and there's a different potting material under there?

I live just north of Hotlanta, so it comes to my surprise just as much as yours.

Wow, not far from me at all.

It's great that you found something that evidently works, but I'm not nearly brave enough to try it with my plants.:p

thez_yo
Hanging Frame and coco liner

Coco liner only

Open metal frame hanger with a coco liner.
I then place a layer of LFS about 1" high on the bottom and up the sides. (Hope this makes sense) The sides are done after starting to fill the bottom with my soil mix, otherwise the LFS just falls to the bottom.
My soil mix is equal parts Perlite, Peat Moss, and LFS.
I then top dress it with LFS. I may have tried live LFS long ago, but the pot is not kept damp enough to keep it alive long term.

This weekend, in the life of the outdoor Nepenthes:

today--
PC130118.jpg

two nights ago, hail!
IMG_0735.jpg

Those are some very pretty N. Glabrata uppers!

Back