What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yummy goodies for the holidays Ho Ho Ho!

This year I'm being the hillbilly gourmet for the holidays, fixed/fixing lots of special treats for friends and family.

Back in June I got a big bunch of Madagascar vanilla beans and a couple big bottles of Svedka vodka and started some vanilla extract :-O
vanilla

Under the extract is a bag of vanilla sugar I made with the beans once they were taken out of the extract and dried.
The jelly is some Habanero jelly I made...

Next I smoked some peppercorn brisket and gave it out
Had to keep some for me of course :lol:
brisket

Tomorrow I'll finish up with a Roasted Duck and Hickory smoked pork butt
stock

Preparing home made chicken stock that will be used in the duck process before roasting

and of course some Grand Marnier for the orange sauce (and maybe a sip or two HO HO HO!!!)
cognac

I'll add pics of the duck and pork butt once ready.

Has made it one of the most fun Christmas' ever

Happy Holidays everyone!
Av

Nice eats! Doing a duck myself on Friday, although my sauce will be a Port and cherry concoction. Looking forward to seeing pics of yours!

Wow..I'm impressed. All I'm contributing this year are homemade hot wings, roasted brussel sprouts with cranberries and some cookies.

Looks awesome, Butch!

Bit lazy here on my end. Made cranberry sauce, Gingerbread, almond scones, and dark chocolate-orange brownies. Will be making bread shortly, and, tomorrow, stuffed mushrooms.

Judy, m'dear, what all do you with the sprouts in such a roasting?

Last edited:
Hey DE.... between us all we would have quite the feast :-O

My duck came out excellent, unreal good taste and texture.... the orange sauce, well.... not worth the effort, I'd rather drink the Grand Marnier LOL
I think next time I want to try Hoisin sauce

Straight from the oven:
duck

pork butt still has 12 hours or so to go, but here is a pick when it started around 9:30 this morning
pork

Its size in the image is deceiving, the butt is about 9lb

Last edited:
Did you save the rendered duck fat? There is no better way to cook potatoes than in duck fat, except maybe in goose fat.

took a peek :)

pork1

- - - Updated - - -

Did you save the rendered duck fat? There is no better way to cook potatoes than in duck fat, except maybe in goose fat.

oh yes, Schmaltz!!!

Yes, indeedy .... Quite the spread it would be. :).

Btw, have you ever tried using undiluted OJ concentrate for the orange sauce/base?

Meat is looking great!

no, but that would definitely be simpler than a reduction of fresh squeezed LOL.

After removing the meat and skimming off as much fat as you can, you could then add cornstarch to thicken it (and any sugar or additional desired seasoning to the liquid).

what I used was basically, a reduction of OJ, a little orange marmalade, Grand Marnier, orange zest, little sugar and butter

Yummers!!! Good Job!!!

Ramon:D

Back